Section II


Students must accept the responsibility to be honest and to respect ethical standards in meeting their academic assignments and requirements. Integrity in the academic life requires that students demonstrate intellectual and academic achievement independent of all assistance except that authorized by the instructor. The use of an outside source in any paper, report or submission for academic credit without the appropriate acknowledgment is plagiarism. It is unethical to present as one’s own work the ideas, words, or representations of another without proper indication of the source. Therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to give credit for any quotation, idea, or data borrowed from an outside source.

Students who fail to meet the responsibility for academic integrity subject themselves to sanctions ranging from a reduction in grade or failure in the assignment or course in which the offense occurred to suspension or dismissal from the University. Individual schools and programs may have more specific procedures for violations of academic integrity. Therefore, students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the academic integrity policies of the University and of individual schools and programs in which they are enrolled. Students penalized for failing to maintain academic integrity who wish to appeal such action must follow the appeal procedure outlined below in the “Grades Appeal Process” section or that of the individual school or program in which they are enrolled if such school or program has a separate appeal procedure in place.


A letter grade is awarded as a measure of student performance only by the faculty member assigned to teach a particular course and section. The spectrum of letter grades ranges from A through F, including plus and minus refinements to the letter grades, which are available to allow faculty greater flexibility in the measurement of student performance. The following describes the letter grading system and its descriptive and quantitative (percentage) equivalents. These equivalents are shown only as guidelines for faculty. Specific grading policies should be announced by the instructor in a given course.

Course Grade  Descriptive Equivalent  Quantitative
A, A- Excellent 90–100%
B+, B, B-  Good  80–89%
C+, C, C- Satisfactory 70–79%
D, D+; Passing 60–69%
Failing  0–59%
K Grade Pending* None
P Pass (Pass-Fail course) None
W Authorized Withdrawal None
I Work incomplete (becomes I-F if not made
up within six weeks)
I-F  Unauthorized withdrawal, not
eligible to make up work
I-R  Remedial work required  None 
SAT  Satisfactory (noncredit course)  None 
UNS  Unsatisfactory (noncredit course)  None 
AUD  Auditor--no credit granted for course  None 












*In specific courses (usually courses that continue the following semester) or in special circumstances, with the permission of the dean, a grade of K (pending) may be assigned. This extension may not exceed one year from the end of the semester in which the K grade is assigned.


Each letter grade translates into a numerical equivalent as cited below:

Grade Quality Points
A-  3.7 
B+  3.3 
B-  2.7 
C+  2.3 
C-  1.7 
D+  1.3 
F, I-F  0.0 
I-R  0.0 










The quality point average (QPA) is obtained by dividing the total number of quality points by the number of credits attempted at Pace, including a grade of “F” or “I-F” but not grades of “W,” “I-R,” “K” or “P.” A QPA of 2.00 is necessary for graduation.


Inability to complete required course work or to take an examination may, at the discretion of the instructor, result in a grade of “I.” A maximum of six weeks will be provided to allow the student to complete the required course work or examination. If the course requirements are not completed within the six-week period, the grade of “I” will automatically become an “I-F,” Incomplete-Failure.


A student in any course in the University who is found to be deficient in basic skills in English or, on the New York City campus, oral communication can be referred for remedial work. In such an instance, the student will receive the grade of “Incomplete-Referral” (I-R) with a provisional letter grade. The I-R grade is for those students who have mastered course content to the level of C or better but who have limited writing or oral deficiencies that can be remediated.
Referral at the end of a semester from any course offered by the University may also be made if a student demonstrated inadequate writing skills in prepared assignments or examinations. A referred student must complete the required remediation in the semester following the referral and may not take any other English course at the same time. A student who is referred at the end of the semester will receive a grade of Incomplete-Referral (I-R) for the course from which he or she was referred, with a provisional letter grade; the letter grade becomes official when the student has completed the remedial course.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Course Referrals (New York City campus only). Students normally take each ESL course only once and in sequence, but a student who is unready for the next level, or whose writing skills are judged deficient by a teacher in any course in the University, may be required to repeat ENG 052, ENG 099A, or ENG 100A. In such cases, only the grade received on the second attempt appears on the student’s permanent record. (No additional credit is given for repeating ENG 100A.)

If the student was referred for remediation at the end of a course, he or she receives a grade of Incomplete-Referral (I-R), with a provisional letter grade for that course. When the referred student has successfully completed the remediation, the provisional grade becomes official. Students referred to ENG 052, 099A, or 100A from a 100-level course are normally expected to complete the remediation in the following semester and may not take any other English course at the same time.

Speech Clinic Referrals (New York City campus). Students who do not achieve minimum departmental standards in COM 200 or COM 200A may be referred to the Speech and Hearing Center for a speech evaluation. Referred students may be assigned to Speech Clinic (SPE 050, 052) for individual or group remedial speech services when appropriate. An assigned student must register for Speech Clinic in the semester following the referral. A grade of Incomplete-Referral (IR) with a provisional letter grade is given to students in the course from which they were referred. The I-R grade is removed when the student registers for the Speech Clinic. However, she or he may be required to take more than one semester of the Speech Clinic.


Students with 60 credits and a cumulative QPA of 2.5 may take one elective course per semester on a pass-fail basis (core courses and major and minor courses may not be taken on a pass-fail basis). Not more than four courses toward the degree may be taken on a pass-fail basis. Only a grade of F will be computed into the QPA. Students must notify the Office of Student Assistance of their intent to take a course pass-fail within the first two weeks of a 14- or 15-week semester, or the first week of a four-, six- or seven-week term.

(back to top)

The latest date for changing a “K” grade will be one year from the end of the semester in which the grade was assigned.
No grade will be changed beyond six months after the conclusion of the semester in which the course was taken, except with the approval of the dean and the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. No grade will ever be changed after a degree has been officially awarded.

(back to top)

As a general principle, the instructor has sole authority to establish standards of performance and to exercise judgments on the quality of student performance, but in a manner that reflects reasonable and generally acceptable academic requirements. Grades assigned in this fashion are final except as the instructor may wish to review them. No faculty member, administrator, or other individual may substitute his or her judgment of the student’s performance for the reasonable judgment of the instructor.

Students who believe that a final grade received in a course was not determined in a manner consistent with the principle described above may challenge that grade by first arranging, within a reasonable period of time (approximately 10 school days from the time that the student knew or should have known of the final course grade), to meet informally with the instructor to establish a clear understanding of the method by which the grade was determined. Every effort should be made to resolve the matter at the level of the instructor and the student. Students who have difficulty arranging a meeting with the instructor should consult the department chair.

If after meeting with the instructor, the student wishes to continue the grade challenge, the student may appeal in writing (with copies to the instructor and the dean of the school) within a reasonable period of time to the chair of the department that offers the course in question. The statement should clearly state the basis for questioning the grade received in the course. It should be noted that if the chair is the instructor, the appeal is to the dean of the school.

The chair’s decision to have a grade reviewed or not is final. If the chair decides that the method by which the student’s grade was determined was not proper, the chair will apprise the instructor of the basis for questioning the grade and request that the instructor review the grade. If the instructor, for any reason, does not review the grade, the chair will request that at least one other faculty member qualified to teach the course in question review the grade. In the process of such a review, the faculty member(s) is (are) authorized to assign a grade change and may, if necessary, require additional examination of the student’s performance as a basis for the grade change.

Students may, at any point in this appeal process, solicit the advice and assistance of an individual faculty or staff member. This individual’s authority in these matters is limited to mediating the relationship between the student and the instructor and/or chair.


If a student repeats a Pace University course, only the grade and credits earned the final time the course is taken will be computed in the cumulative QPA (the CQPA). Students wishing to apply for recomputation of their QPA must complete the appropriate form at the Office of Student Assistance. The QPA will be recomputed only for the semester in which the student repeats the course; the average of the semester in which the course(s) was first taken will not be changed retroactively. If a student withdraws from the course during the semester in which it is being repeated, the cumulative QPA (CQPA) will reflect the original grade. No course may be recomputed after a degree has been officially awarded.

Students who receive permission to take at another institution a course for which they failed to attain a passing grade at Pace will have the credit earned at the other institution treated as transfer credit at Pace (provided they attain a grade of “C” or better). The course may not be used to recompute the failing grade at Pace.