Frequently Asked Questions: Registration


Frequently Asked Questions: Registration*


Q: How can a student register for classes?

A: Students can register online 7 days a week, 24-hours a day through MyPace Portal once you they eligible to do so. Just follow Step by Step Guide available at the  Office of Student Assistance (OSA).


Q: How do I know when my advisees can register?

A: They will be notified by the  Office of Student Assistance (OSA) with their exact registration date and time. This notification will occur the week prior to their registration date.


Q:  What is the difference between a “drop” and a “withdrawal”?

A: A course can be dropped prior to and within the first week of classes.  After that period, if a student does not want to continue with a course, s/he must officially withdraw from it, and “W” will appear on his/her transcript next to that course.  Withdrawal from a course could affect financial and scholarships.


Q: Can a student withdraw from a class after the semester has started?

A: During the fall or spring semester, a student may withdraw from a class during the first 8 weeks of the semester without special permission. However, it is required that the student consult with his or her adviser and/or instructor before making this decision. Students may drop via the web but should get and keep a printed hard copy of their transaction for their records.  During the 9th and 10th weeks of the term, students must have the approval of their instructor and the Dean to withdraw from a course without academic penalty. After the 10th week of the semester, withdrawals are only permitted when there are extenuating personal or medical circumstances (which must be documented). The specific withdrawal deadline dates for each semester are listed in the Academic Calendar. Students who receive an authorized withdrawal will receive a grade of “W” for the course, which carries no academic penalty but is recorded on the official transcript. However, students who stop attending courses during the semester and do not follow these withdrawal procedures will receive a failing grade for the course.


Important Notes:

1)  depending on how many courses a students withdraws from and if their total number of credits falls below 12 credits, their financial aid and housing may be affected.  They should check with those offices before withdrawing from any classes.

2)  International Students must follow different guidelines. Please see the next question for more details.


Q:  How many credits must a student take in order to be considered a full-time student?

A:  At least 12.  If a student is registered for fewer than 12 credits, he/she is considered a part-time student.


Q: Do international students have specific guidelines for dropping or withdrawing from classes?

A: International students are required by law to be registered full-time both fall and spring semesters. Full-time for undergraduate students is 12 credits; graduate students is 9 credits.


Q: Do international students need to maintain a certain course load?

A : International students CANNOT drop courses at any point in the semester if it will take them below full-time status WITHOUT prior permission from an adviser in the Office of International Programs & Services. A Deviation Form will need to be signed to authorize the reduced course load. This form is available in the Office of Student Assistance (OSA) or online.


Q: How does a student get a hold removed from their account?

A: Holds are placed on accounts by departments who are in need of information from a student and prevent the student from registering until that information is received. Students must check their account during the early part of each semester to determine if they have any holds. If they do, they should contact the department from which the hold originates and do whatever necessary to have it removed.


Q:  What types of hold are there and where does a student go to resolve the problem?


Adviser hold



Library hold



Financial hold



Final HS transcript


Admission Office

Final HS transcript with graduation date  


Admission Office

MMR immunization


Health Care Unit



Residence Life


Q:  How does a student register for Term A/B classes?

A:  If a student is taking a term A and term B class, then both must be registered for in the same semester.  If this brings a student above 18 credits the s/he must go to OSA for registration and s/he will be charged for course overload.



*Modified from Office of Student Assistance