Become a Notary Public!
Prepare for the NYS Notary Public Examination. This course provides a comprehensive review of the notary public office, including the extent of authority the position holds, as well as its duties and responsibilities. Case studies are used to illustrate situations that the officer is likely to encounter such as avoiding conflicts of interest, maintaining professional ethics, charging proper fees, handling of special situations, minimizing legal liability and much more.
- Administering oaths and affirmations
- Taking affidavits and depositions
- Receiving and certifying acknowledgments or proof of such written instruments as deeds, mortgages and powers of attorney
- Demanding acceptance or payment of foreign and inland bills of exchange, promissory notes and obligations in writing, and protesting the same for non-payment
Who Should Take This Course?
- Individuals employed by banks, law offices and other institutions which deal in financial or real property transactions
- Individuals employed in colleges and universities requiring documents to be notarized
- Individuals looking to advance their career and employment opportunities
Individuals looking to add to the value/prestige of their resume or earn extra income
Please read Frequently Asked Questions prior to registering.
Please note that this is a review course designed to sit for the NYS Notary Exam. Information on how to register for the State Exam will be distributed in class.
- "I'm so glad that I took the Notary Public class at Pace. It was informative, engaging, and well-taught." - K. Lewis
- "I passed the NYS Notary Exam! This course provided me with a comprehensive review of the course material. It is HIGHLY recommended! - D. Roberts
- "Great method of teaching. You can see experience and a seasoned educator." D. Chan
- "I was able to pass the Notary Public Exam on the first try! Thanks Pace!"
- “The instructor and the handouts helped me learn that I will be able to assist in furthering their careers. I would recommend this course to co-workers because it is very informative.” – D. Brown
- “The professor was very knowledgeable.” – R. Weinstein
Meet the Instructors
Professor Paul C. Bierman, Esq. has been a lawyer since 1983. He has been engaged in the private practice of law and served as an Administrative Law Judge. He is currently employed by the New York State Office of Court Administration. Professor Bierman has taught the property management, real estate and notary public courses at Pace University since 2003 and has published articles on contracts and real estate. Mr. Bierman is currently working on a guide to New York Landlord Tenant Law.
Professor Bieman is a graduate of Stony Brook University and Brooklyn Law School. He is a member of the New York and Florida Bars and is admitted to the U.S. District Courts and the United States Supreme Court.
Professor Michael J. Pocchia, Esq. is a professor of legal studies at Pace University. He is a practicing attorney with over 19 years of legal experience and is currently employed by the NYC HRA Office of Child Support Enforcement as the Executive Director of Investigations, Enforcement, and Interstate Units. Prior to this position, he worked for the NYC Department of Corrections as an Assistant Legal Counsel. Professor Pocchia has been teaching notary public law classes for over 10 years to legal assistant students, practicing paralegals and members of the community throughout New York State.
Professor Brett Cassidy has been a designated Notary Public official since 2011. He earned his MBA from Hofstra University with a concentration in Finance in 2009. Since then he has worked with Thomson Reuters in multiple roles including being asked to visit multinational clients all over the United States to present and train software to end users. Professor Cassidy currently works with State Farm Insurance.
SPRING 2015 Course Schedule
Section 1: Pace University Midtown Center
551 Fifth Avenue at 45th
New York, NY
March 14, 2015
Instructor: Brett Cassidy
Section 2: Pace University Midtown Center
551 Fifth Avenue at 45th
New York, NY
March 28, 2015
Instructor: Michael Pocchia
Questions? Please contact us at (212) 346-1186 or ContinuingEd@pace.edu