Professional Business Writing and Email Etiquette
Get the business writing skills to compose powerful, professional documents and emails that get attention and prompt action!
Build on the business writing fundamentals, apply practical writing techniques that will give you the flexibility to write skillfully in different contexts for multiple readers. Explore variation in word choice and organization to get your point across concisely and promote reader response. Learn to evaluate performance and persuade to get results. Avoid tone blunders and misunderstandings. Use these techniques to enhance the impact of your writing in this digital age.
Participants will receive a Pace University Certificate of Completion.
How You Will Benefit
- Update and improve your business writing skills for more effective and persuasive emails, memos, letters and reports
- Organize your documents with your readers’ needs in mind
- Create reader-friendly layouts to highlight important information
- Craft sentences that get and hold your readers’ attention
- Edit your writing for clarity and ease of reading
- Avoid archaic expressions and common grammar, punctuation and usage errors
What You Will Cover
- Stating your purpose quickly and easily in documents and emails
- Separating details from actions
- Writing conversationally to engage your readers
- Updating your writing style for today’s business environment
- Understand the rules of email etiquette
- Organize information to help your readers
- Recognize and eliminate unnecessary words, phrases and repetition
- Techniques for writing concretely
- Substitute heavy, confusing phrases with simple language
- How strong verbs improve writing
Identify and avoid masked and passive verbs
Who Should Attend
All business professionals who are required to present ideas in writing and wish to sharpen their business writing skills.
Meet the Instructor
Theresa Breland has navigated among a variety of business training contexts, serving both native and nonnative English speaking professionals in various industries (financial, marketing, nonprofit, environmental) in both the public and private sectors. She began her professional career in the fashion industry, holding various positions in merchandising, sales, planning, and international production. Theresa later earned a master’s degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) from Teachers College Columbia University. The combination of her corporate experience and her linguistics degree has led to a niche in professional business communication training. Her courses reflect current trends across industries and integrate innovative adult learning methodologies. Participants describe her workshops as relevant, interactive, and engaging. Theresa has delivered corporate training for Pace University since 2001. For more information, see www.TheresaBreland.com.
Fall 2014 Course Schedule:
Pace University Midtown
551 Fifth Avenue at 45th
New York, NY
November 18, 2014
9:00 am-4:00 pm
Tuition: $195 (includes all materials)
Questions? Please contact us at (914) 773-3714 or ContinuingEd@pace.edu