Writing Impressive Reports
Learn how to write high-quality, professional reports that will impress and get noticed!
In this interactive workshop, learn to write high quality professional reports that are read by multiple readers with a variety of expectations. Practice using several organizing techniques that deliver relevant information with clarity and consistency. Impressive reports get to the point. Identify ways to recognize wordiness and revise for conciseness. Polished reports include correct grammar, usage, and punctuation. Learn how to avoid embarrassing mistakes by getting a refresher on the rules. Craft reports with clean and interesting formats that impress readers and deliver your message with style. Participants are encouraged to bring sample reports for immediate feedback and discussion.
Participants will receive a Pace University Certificate of Completion.
How You Will Benefit
- Produce coherent, polished reports that address multiple readers
- Select the appropriate organizational pattern to suit the situation
- Apply simple, effective tips for precise grammar, usage, and punctuation
- Use various techniques to adjust word choice based on your readers’ needs
- Learn new ways to write more concisely
- Improve overall readability through organization, word choice, and formatting
What You Will Cover
- Ways to select and analyze the content while getting started
- Strategies to adjust the style and tone of reports based on the readers’ interests and your objective
- Techniques to balance the detailed information with the summarized content while remaining concise
- Common(and not-so-common) errors in grammar and sentence structure
- Options for selecting visual data that supports the content and the readers’ needs
- Effective formats that enhance readability
Who Should Attend
All professionals who want to improve their report writing skills and increase their confidence with all types of business writing.
Meet the Instructor
Theresa Breland has navigated among a variety of business training contexts, serving both native and nonnative English speaking professionals in various industries (financial, marketing, nonprofit, environmental) in both the public and private sectors. She began her professional career in the fashion industry, holding various positions in merchandising, sales, planning, and international production. Theresa later earned a master’s degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) from Teachers College Columbia University. The combination of her corporate experience and her linguistics degree has led to a niche in professional business communication training. Her courses reflect current trends across industries and integrate innovative adult learning methodologies. Participants describe her workshops as relevant, interactive, and engaging. Theresa has delivered corporate training for Pace University since 2001. For more information, see www.TheresaBreland.com.
FALL 2014 Course Schedule:
Pace University Midtown
551 Fifth Avenue at 45th
New York, NY
October 21, 2014
9:00 am-4:00 pm
Tuition: $195 (includes all materials)
Questions? Please contact us at (212) 346-1186 or ContinuingEd@pace.edu