Accommodated Testing for NYC
Testing Accommodations Process – Information for Faculty
- Students requiring accommodations must register with Disability Services, located in the Counseling Center, (212) 346-1526. Students must update their information every semester in order to receive letters and forms to give to each of their professors.
- At the beginning of the semester, these students will present to you a “Testing Accommodations Form” which needs to be filled out by the office of Disability Services, the student, and you. Please copy this form for each test you plan to give.
- On this form, please indicate your name, your phone number, your course, the date the test will be offered, and the amount of time the class receives for the exam. This information will help us determine the proper amount of extended time to allow. Please also indicate monitoring conditions for the test, how you will deliver the test to the office of Disability Services, and how you would like the test returned to you.
- It is the student’s responsibility to stop by or call or e-mail ODS to arrange testing accommodations. YOU do not need to schedule the test for the student. When the student’s exam is scheduled, an email will be sent to you and the student confirming the date on which the testing will take place.
- Please send the student’s exam to the Accommodations Coordinator at ODS, at least 48 hours in advance of the student’s scheduled testing time.
Information for Students
- Students must take the exam on the scheduled day and time that the class takes the exam. The Accommodations Coordinator has flexible hours and will be available for most evening exams or early morning exams. Students may take an exam on a different day and time if you have a conflict or special circumstances and obtain the professor’s permission.
- To schedule an appointment, call ODS at (212) 346-1562, stop by 156 Williams Street, 8th Floor, or e-mail your scheduling request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please make sure to schedule your appointment(s) as soon as possible and at least ONE WEEK in advance. ODS will do its best to accommodate you at the last minute, but cannot guarantee that arrangements can be made.
- Students are expected to be on TIME for all scheduled exams/quizzes (time may be deducted).
- Students should report to 156 William Street, 8th floor Counseling Center and check-in at the front desk upon arrival for exams. Be advised that only approved supplies will be allowed in the testing room. You will be asked to leave other materials and personal belongings with the Accommodations Coordinator or proctor for the duration of testing.
- Students must take responsibility for their testing accommodations—they are expected to be proactive in scheduling exams, communicate with professors around conflicts, and communicate with Accommodations Coordinator regarding questions/concerns/problems.
- Instructors will be notified of no shows, please let ODS and instructors know if you wish to cancel your exam with ODS and take it with the class or are ill and unable to take the exam. It is the responsibility of the student to coordinate a “make up” exam date with the professor.
- Academic integrity must be upheld—university policies regarding cheating, plagiarizing, etc. will be strictly enforced
Accommodated Testing Hours:
The Accommodations Coordinator at ODS is full-time and generally available Monday-Friday, 9-5pm. Please note, however, that because the coordinator is full-time, hours are flexible so that early morning and evening exams can be accommodated.