The University will provide distance education programs that increase flexibility of study for diverse student populations as well as provide equivalent support to online and in-class students.
Enhance support and services to students by providing online:
- Introductory seminar for distance learners
- Tutoring for skills and content
- Library Resources
- Information including policies and procedures Technological support
- Download/upgrade procedures
- Enhance and integrate online services with existing student/faculty systems.
- Expand course offerings to allow for maximum flexibility and convenience for students with particular attention paid to summer on-line course offerings.
- Provide on-campus resources for students needing access to the Pace network and the Internet to complete course requirements easily.
- Pursue objective of increasing students’ “employability skills” including technical computing critical/analytical and communication skills.
Faculty and Staff
The University will support, evaluate and reward faculty in the development and implementation of online education. Since course development for online education is a collaborative process appropriate support and development must be provided to staff.
Reward and Evaluation
To encourage faculty to create and implement online courses, their work must be given appropriate weight by tenure and promotion committees:
- Departmental level, School/College level, University level (CDFPT)
Faculty Development and Staff Support
Broad faculty and staff development and support must be implemented to ensure creation and effective teaching of dynamic online courses.
- Online seminars for faculty addressing pedagogy, course design and assessment should be developed and the appropriate staff support offered to implement the seminars.
- Development support services that address both pedagogical and technical concerns.
- Appropriate funding and technological resources and support available for faculty and staff on-campus and, if appropriate, at home (e.g., DSL or cable options, laptops, software support, etc.).