BFA in Art
Department Web site
Dyson College’s Art Department on Pace University’s New York City campus provides a stimulating environment for you to develop your artistic potential. Earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in Art or a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Art or Art History. Study with our outstanding faculty of internationally recognized professional artists and distinguished educators. Small class sizes allow for a high degree of individual attention. Internships for credit expand your practical experience and enhance your career opportunities, providing access to leading galleries and museums, design, media, and fashion firms, film production companies, and magazine publishers.
International study is available through an extensive list of Pace-affiliated universities abroad, as well as departmentally-sponsored trips to destinations like Florence, Berlin, or Paris. Dyson College’s Gotham House offers Art students the opportunity to become part of a social network of students with similar interests. Activities include free trips to museums, films, and Broadway shows. Career panels and Visiting Artist lectures are offered every semester. Two galleries on campus display contemporary art as well as student and faculty work.
BFA in Art
Offered on the New York City campus, our professional program in art and design prepares you for a variety of careers, or advanced study in the field. The department combines traditional media like painting and sculpture with photography, digital media, film, and design to provide a range of creative and professional paths for our students. You receive a broad introduction to the studio arts through a sequence of introductory courses in different media, followed by focused study in a selected studio area, including Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Photography, Digital Arts, Graphic Design, Sculpture, Interior Design, and Film and Video Production. Interdisciplinary options are also available.
A portfolio review is required for admission into the BFA program.
- Digital Art and Graphic Design
- Film and Video Production
- Painting and Drawing
- Sculpture and 3D Design
- Interior Design
BFA Portfolio Requirements For 2015-2016
All students wishing to enter the BFA program for the 2015-2016 academic year must first be accepted to Pace University before a portfolio is submitted for review. Two reviews are held annually: February 15 and December 1, and are open to prospective and current Pace students. Portfolios received by these deadlines are guaranteed review. If you miss a portfolio deadline, please enroll in the BA in Art program until the next deadline. Your major can be changed to BFA in Art after reviewing your portfolio. Guidelines for portfolios are:
- Portfolios should contain ten (10) images that display your ability in art or design. Photography, painting, drawing, sculpture, digital arts, video, printmaking, design, and mixed media are among the media considered.
- Format your photos to these specifications: 72dpi, 4” x 6” (horizontal or vertical). File size for each image should not exceed 400K. Your total portfolio should not exceed 5MB. For video work, include a link to videos that you have posted online (YouTube or Vimeo). You may also include a link to your website or a blog that shows examples of your artwork.
Portfolios should be emailed to email@example.com.
You may also mail portfolios on a CD, DVD or thumb-drive to:
BFA Portfolio Review
41 Park Row, Room 1205
New York, NY 10038
- You may also request a portfolio review in person. To make an appointment please contact the Art Department at 212-346-1894 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about our program contact Jennifer Schwarting in the Art Office at email@example.com or call 212-346-1894.
Business Insider recognized Pace as providing first-rate integrated learning opportunities, where students “gain hands-on experience in their fields through internships, practicums, and fieldwork."