2015 NYC English Department Writing Awards
$5000 in awards from the Sarah Willis, Billie and Curtis Owens, Richard Gill, Gerard Cannon, and James Rose funds (former English Dept. faculty) will be given in Fiction, Poetry, Critical or Creative Nonfiction, Screenwriting, Literary or Film Criticism, and Journalism. The Academy of American Poets Prize, established by John Ashbery, will also be awarded in the Poetry category.
You must be a NYC undergraduate English or Film and Screen Studies (FSS) major or minor, or an undergraduate student in any major who has taken (or is taking) a Pace NYC ENG 223, ENG 223C, or a 300-level ENG or LIT course, or any FSS course. Also you must be enrolled during the current academic year, either in Fall 2014 or Spring 2015, or both.
Deadline (submissions by email only)
Monday, April 6, 2015, by Midnight / email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send one email and attach a separate .doc(x) file in that email for each award category you enter.
Resend your email if you do not get an automatic receipt confirmation. Do not send a pdf file.
You may submit entries in multiple categories:
- Fiction: 30 double-spaced pages maximum, but no more than 3 pieces, i.e., short stories or part of a novel
- Poetry: 10 single-spaced pages maximum, but no more than 5 poems
- Critical or Creative Nonfiction: 30 double-spaced pages maximum, but no more than 3 pieces, i.e., personal essays, profiles, memoirs, biography; food, travel, cultural, or societal writing (including blogs and personal journals)
- Screenwriting: 10-30 pages maximum in screenplay format and a 1-page (double-spaced) story outline
- Literary or Film Criticism: 30 double-spaced pages maximum, but no more than 3 pieces, i.e., critical essays on literature or film
- Journalism: 25 double-spaced pages maximum, but no more than 3 pieces, i.e., news or feature writing; gallery, performance, multimedia, book, or cinema reviews
A submission exceeding the maximum page count for a category will not be considered.
- Submit one cover page for each category you enter.
Cover Page for each category consists of the following
- The heading ENGLISH DEPARTMENT WRITING AWARDS
- Name of appropriate category (i.e., FICTION)
- Your name; 9-digit student ID or U#; your English or FSS major or minor, or if you are a major from another dept., your major and the course #, semester, and year of an ENG 223 or 223C course, a 300-level ENG or LIT course, or any FSS course you've taken
- Email address, phone number(s), local mailing address
- The title(s) of only the works in this category
- Do not put your name on any other page
- Text must be double-spaced, except for poetry
- All writing must be carefully edited and proofread
- Do not include page numbers on any pages
- Award applications must be emailed to email@example.com by Midnight Monday, April 6
QUESTIONS? Writing Awards Director, Professor Eugene Richie: firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards blog: http://pacenyenglish.blogspot.com