- A $260,000 project funded by the New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Development Disabilities that provides management, computing, and financial training to upstate minority agencies. Classes are planned in the Albany and Syracuse areas.
- A $70,000 contract with Southern Board of Cooperative Education Services (BOCES) to conduct a space and demographic study.
- Upstate Center for School Safety Grant Project. The purpose of the grant is to provide schools in New York (except for New York City) with training. The major goal of the training provided is to equip schools with well-trained teams so that they can collect and analyze data in order to develop and monitor more effective school safety programs.
Northern Metropolitan Health Workforce Retraining Initiative
The Department of Public Administration and the Lienhard School of Nursing have collaborated with the Northern Metropolitan Hospital Association (NorMet) since 1997 on the Health Workforce Retraining Initiative sponsored by the New York State Departments of Health and Labor. The purpose of the Initiative was to retrain health care employees at risk of losing their jobs due to changes in the health care industry. The original grant criteria were modified to include skill enhancement for workers to retain their jobs.
NorMet, which represents over 40 hospitals and other health care organizations in the seven-county Hudson Valley region, and Pace University formed the regional Northern Metropolitan Health Workforce Retraining Consortium of over 100 health care facilities, educational institutions and community organizations to carry out grant-funded training activities.
The initial funding in 1997 was for $330,000 to train 175 workers. Since then, the Consortium has been awarded four additional grants totaling over $3.3 million. Over 15,000 health care workers in the Hudson Valley have received training in the following subject areas:
- Accounting Clerk
- Certified Nurse Aide/Long Term Care
- Critical Care Nursing
- Emergency Room Nursing
- Home Care RN
- Language Skills
- Medical Records Specialist
- Operating Room Nursing
- PC Operator
- Patient Care Associate
- Pediatric Home Care RN
- RN/LPN Special Care Skills
- Quality Assurance
- Radiology Technician Cross-Training
This training was provided to employees in a total of 33 health facilities by 18 educational institutions throughout the region.
Participant feedback has been enthusiastic. Hospital administrators have expressed satisfaction in being able to offer a benefit to employees. Employee participants have been pleased with the caliber of the teaching and with the opportunity to obtain valuable and transferable skills that may enable them to advance in their careers. Educational institutions are gratified to enter into partnerships with local health facilities. Additional positive effects of this grant include benefits to the community in the form of greater job security for residents employed in the health facilities, and a health workforce serving the community with improved and updated skills.