The Pace Jumpstart AmeriCorps Program allows Pace college students to work one-on-one with disadvantaged, preschool children to help them combat America’s school readiness crisis and enhance early literacy. With this enrichment support, children are helped to build basic reading skills at an early age, improve their chances for success in school and create a lifelong love of learning. Pace Jumpstart is conducted throughout the academic year at preschool sites concentrated throughout the Manhattan’s Lower East Side. Jumpstart is a national non-profit that partners with AmeriCorps and has sites on campuses throughout the United States. Jumpstart began at Pace in 2007 and since then has worked with over 500 children at seven different schools inspiring children to learn, adults to teach, families to get involved, and communities to progress together. Jumpstart offers training, on-going professional development and service opportunities to its college-student Corps.
- For the school year, Corps members are paired with children at a local preschool. Corps members work in teams of five-to-seven college students with classrooms of about twenty children.
- Corps members and children participate in Jumpstart sessions twice per week, providing key one-to-one attention and group interaction.
- Jumpstart helps children develop language, literacy, and social skills vital to success both in school and life.
- Corps members serve 8-10 hours/week for a total maximum of 300 hours served from September 1 through May 15.
- Intensive Jumpstart training is required prior to beginning service and Corps development support continues throughout the academic year.
- As an AmeriCorps program, Jumpstart members regularly engage in reflections regarding service to offer better support for the children and families served.
- After the successful completion of the 300-hour service commitment, Corps members are eligible for an education award from AmeriCorps.
- Only undergraduates with work-study awards are eligible to apply for a Pace Jumpstart Corps position.
- Hiring preference will be given to applicants with a 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis with most recruitment done in May and September.