Frequently Asked Questions

Contact us if you have any other questions regarding the Pace University Core Curriculum.

1.   Does an AOK course that's also writing enhanced count in both areas?  In other words, is “double dipping” allowed?

Yes, although the number of credits does not count twice.

2.   How many times can a student “double-dip” within the Core?

As many as is applicable. Check with your adviser.

3.   Does a major course count toward an AOK if it applies?

Generally, no.  Check with your adviser.

4.   Do AOK/Foundation courses within a learning community count toward both the LC and the AOK/Foundation?


5.   How do I know if a course is AOK, I & E or writing enhanced?

There are several ways to check this:

1.   Go to; click onto “Core Curriculum;” then click onto either “Areas of Knowledge” or “Writing Enhanced” sections.
2.   The Class Schedule for each semester lists all AOK courses in the beginning of the catalog. Writing Enhanced and AOK designations are also noted in the Course Offerings section as well.
3.   The web-based Class Schedule (available thru notes which area the course falls into by clicking onto the CRN.
6.   Are I & E courses only in Dyson? Do they include all Dyson courses?

Inquiry and Exploration courses include all Dyson courses, but not courses in other schools within Pace.

7.   When should a student take Eng 201?

Eng 201 should be taken in second semester sophomore year or first semester junior year.

8.   Do Dyson College courses also count toward free electives?

Any credit-bearing course that does not fulfill core or major requirements can count as a free elective.

9.   Does an AOK course count for more than one AOK?

No. A class may fall in more than one AOK, but it can only count towards one of those areas. Your academic advisor can best determine which AOK a particular AOK course should be counted towards if there is a choice.

10.   What happens if a student does not take a Learning Community in his/her first semester?

Students who do not take a LC in their first semester must take one in his/her second semester.

11.   How does a student register for Term A/B classes?

If a student is taking a term A and term B class, then both must be registered for in the same semester. If this brings a student above 18 credits the s/he must go to the SARS office for registration and s/he will be charged for course overload.

12.   What core courses are transfer students required to take at Pace?

Transfer students must complete the Foundation and Civic Engagement requirements, plus at least 24 credits in liberal arts and sciences. Transfer students in the professional schools, with the exception of the School of Education, may take a culture course to fulfill the second language requirement.

13.   Do international students have specific guidelines for dropping or withdrawing from classes?

International students are required by law to be registered full-time both fall and spring semesters. Full-time for undergraduate students is 12 credits; graduate students is 9 credits. International students CANNOT drop courses at any point in the semester if the drop will take them below full-time WITHOUT prior permission from an advisor in the Office of International Programs & Services. A Deviation Form will need to be signed to authorize the reduced course load. This form is available in the office.

14.   What is the difference between a “drop” and a “withdrawal”?

A course can be dropped prior to and within the first week of classes. After that period, if a student does not want to continue with a course, s/he must officially withdraw from it, and “W” will appear on his/her transcript next to that course. Withdrawal from a course could affect financial and scholarships (please see financial aid pages for more information).