Unique Aspects of the Actors Studio Drama School:
- The Actors Studio Drama School is the only MFA program officially sanctioned and supervised by the legendary Actors Studio.
- It is the only school that offers the authenticity, continuity and authority of the Stanislavski System and the Method.
- The curriculum has been designed and supervised by the leadership of the Actors Studio, including the Presidents of the Actors Studio, Ellen Burstyn, Harvey Keitel and Al Pacino.
- Our faculty members include major figures at the Actors Studio, many of them Moderators, Board Members and Associate Artistic Directors of the Actors Studio.
- All students -- actors, directors, playwrights -- train side-by-side as actors.
- All students participate in the Craft Seminars known to the world as the Bravo Network television series “Inside the Actors Studio,” hosted by James Lipton.
- In Friday Workshops the MFA candidates are exposed to different elements of the theater, such as script analysis, design, stage combat, directing, and auditioning for plays, musicals, film and television.
- All MFA dance courses are taught by the famous and prestigious Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater at their uptown studios.
- All students participate in an Observership Program at the Actors Studio.
- All MFA black-box studios for professional training are designed and equipped according to state-of-the-art standards.
- Located at prominent and easily reached campus in downtown New York City.
Repertory Season and Industry Showcase:
- In their final year, all Actors Studio Drama School students present their work to the professional world and the public, in a fully-produced professional Repertory Season at a theater in downtown Manhattan.
- In addition, after the Repertory Season, our actors present their work to representatives from the theater, film and television industries in an Industry Showcase at the Actors Studio itself in midtown Manhattan.
New York City - the theatre capital of America and the largest media and cultural market in the world - provides Pace students with incomparable resources for the development of their art and the launching of their careers.
Located in downtown Manhattan at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge and directly across from NYC’s historic City Hall and Park, Pace University is one of the reasons that lower Manhattan is a magnet for performing and visual arts in New York City. Pace prides itself as an active partner with the Tribeca Film Festival, the New York International Fringe Festival, and the River-to-River Summer Stars Series.
Moreover, Inside the Actors Studio, the hit Bravo television show, is filmed in the University’s Michael Schimmel Center for the Arts, which is also a home venue for the Tribeca Film Festival and other major cultural and civic events. For more information about Pace and the arts, visit our Cultural Affairs pages.
Pace University’s downtown campus is served by at least 12 subway lines, and numerous bus routes. For detailed travel information, please visit our directions page.
- All students have the privilege, for one year, of the status of Working Finalist at the Actors Studio itself, which means they are eligible to attend weekly sessions and take a Final Audition for Studio Membership, bypassing the usual Preliminary Audition. Some of these students, if they successfully pass their Final Audition, will become Lifetime Members of the Actors Studio.
- All directing and playwriting students are invited, for at least one year, to be part of the Playwrights and Directors Workshop of the Actors Studio, a unit especially created for the continuation of the training of our directing and playwriting graduates.