The BA in English is designed to hone students’ reading, writing, research, and speaking skills through engagement with diverse texts. Major requirements are designed to meet these goals as students
- become part of a community of scholars through a gateway course
- fill major requirements that encourage breadth of knowledge
- choose a track in either writing or literature to develop depth of knowledge
- complete at least one internship to explore professional opportunities
- bring their studies to a strong close through a capstone course.
The Department of English and Modern Language Studies on the Pleasantville campus offers Bachelor of Arts degrees in English and in English and Communications, as well as minors in English, Creative Writing, and Women and Gender Studies. Qualified students may take advantage of the following combined degree programs: BA in English/MS in Publishing, BA in English/JD (Law), or BA in English/MST in Adolescent Education.
What is the competitive advantage of our program compared to those offered at other universities?
Our majors have choices. They may concentrate on English, Creative Writing, or English and Communications (writing for media outlets, video production and editing, verbal and presentational skills for the workplace). They may also complete a minor to complement their major area of study. We offer combined MA/MS programs in Publishing and English Education, as well as in a 3+3 BA/JD program with the Elisabeth Haub School of Law at Pace.
- The study of English prepares students for work in a vast array of fields such as business, education, entertainment, government, or the nonprofit sector. Our majors are prepared to think with precision and nuance, to research and synthesize information, and to communicate clearly—skills that are the bedrock of professional success.
- Nearly one-third of English majors work in the education sector, and another third work as creative artists, broadcasters, writers, editors, journalists, or public relations specialists.
Companies that have hired Pace graduates with this degree
- Adapt Courseware
- Blue Book Construction Company
- Bolden & Bonfiglio, LLC
- Briarcliff High School
- Fox Lane High School
- Greenwich Public Schools
- Hudson Global
- JP Morgan Chase
- Kendal on Hudson
- Manhattan College
- Pace University
- Pearson Education
- Port Chester High School
- Preston High School
- Williams & Mahoney, LLC
- Yorktown Stage
Recent student internship placements include
- ABC Networks
- All For One Solo Theater
- Hudson Stage Company
- The Hudson Valley Writer’s Center
- Jacob Burns Film Center
- The Knot Bridal Magazine
- MTV Networks
- Northern Westchester Women’s Shelter
- Westchester Magazine
Other Programs You Might Consider
- BA/MST, WESTCHESTER