The Pace Jumpstart AmeriCorps Program allows Pace college students to work one-on-one with disadvantaged, preschool children to help them combat America’s school readiness crisis and enhance early literacy. With this enrichment support, children are helped to build basic reading skills at an early age, improve their chances for success in school and helped to create a lifelong love of learning. Pace Jumpstart is conducted throughout the academic year at preschool sites concentrated throughout the Manhattan’s Lower East Side. Jumpstart is a national non-profit that partners with AmeriCorps and has sites on campuses throughout the United States. Jumpstart began at Pace in 2007 and since then has worked with over 500 children at seven different schools inspiring children to learn, adults to teach, families to get involved, and communities to progress together. Jumpstart offers its college-student Corps training, on-going professional development and service opportunities.
Program information for Pace students interested in joining Jumpstart:
- For the school year, Corps members are paired with children at a local preschool. Corps members work in teams of about seven college students with classrooms of 20 children.
- Corps members and children participate in Jumpstart sessions twice per week, providing key one-to-one attention and group interaction.
- Jumpstart helps children develop language, literacy, and social skills vital to success not just in school, but also in life.
- Corps members serve approximately 8-10 hours/week but may not exceed 12 hours per week for a total maximum of 300 hours served from September 1st through May 15th.
- As an AmeriCorps program, Jumpstart members regularly engage in reflections regarding service to offer better support for the children and families served.
- At the completion of 300 hours of service, Corps members are eligible for a $1,175 education award from AmeriCorps. Students with work-study eligibility may get paid for their service hours.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Intensive Jumpstart training is required prior to beginning service.
- Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis with a majority of hiring done in May and September. Apply early as many positions are filled in May.