Demonstrations & Rallies
DEMONSTRATIONS AND RALLIES
|CONTACT:||Dean for Students (x1306) NYC|
|Dean for Students (x3351) PLV / BR|
|Dean for Students (x4235) WP / LAW|
Pace University believes that members or groups within the Pace Community have the right to express their views on a particular issue or cause. Since one of the missions of the University is the search for truth, demonstrations and rallies have a legitimate place. Demonstrations and rallies, however, should not interfere with the operation of the institution. The University has an obligation to protect the safety and welfare of its students, faculty and staff, and to insure that its academic mission is not compromised. Therefore, demonstrations and rallies must be nonviolent and considerate of the rights of all members of the Pace Community. Demonstrations, rallies and distribution of materials are permissible in properly designated areas.
- Members of the Pace community (students, faculty and staff) must seek approval to use University-designated property and /or facilities for staging a demonstration or rally.
- Advance notice of a demonstration or rally must be submitted in writing to the Dean for Students Office. A Demonstration/Rally Authorization Application Form is available through the Dean for Students Office. Demonstration/Rally Authorization Application Forms will be reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Once approval is granted for a demonstration/rally, individuals organizing the event are responsible for insuring that it is conducted in a responsible manner.
- In order to preserve an atmosphere in which a free exchange of ideas may flourish, it is necessary that standards of behavior be maintained to ensure the safety of all members of the Pace community and the unimpeded operation of the institution. Hence, the University reserves the right to take steps to address inappropriate conduct.
- The location of a demonstration/rally will be clearly defined by the Dean for Students. Participants of a demonstration/rally may not block access to University facilities. The University reserves the right to cordon off these specific sites.
- The University reserves the right to notify the local police in advance of a demonstration/rally. The police may be on call to prevent any infraction of local laws.
PLEASE NOTE: Failure to comply with the above guidelines constitutes a breach of agreement and may lead to the cancellation of any demonstration/rally.
PLEASE REFER TO THE STUDENT HANDBOOK SECTION ON UNIVERSITY POLICIES, DISCIPLINARY AND GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES.