Welcome from the Provost
Dear Prospective Student:
Welcome to Pace University’s Pforzheimer Honors College!
This site offers a wealth of information about Pace University’s Pforzheimer Honors College – an exciting learning community within our great University. The Honors College is available on both the New York City and Pleasantville campuses of Pace University. The two key ingredients of our extremely successful program are exceptional STUDENTS with enormous potential and superb PROFESSORS who are outstanding in their disciplines, dedicated, and energetic. Those two ingredients come together in an EDUCATIONAL ENVIRONMENT founded on certain BASIC VALUES fundamental to a Pace education. These include.
- MENTORING. Your education goes beyond instruction at Pace. Honors students work closely with their professors who challenge them to be their very best through personal mentoring and guidance.
- EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING. Honors students have opportunities to work hands-on with many topics, whether in the science labs, service learning in the community, study abroad, internships, or coop placements in businesses, non-profits or arts organizations, to name only a few options. Pace students have extensive opportunities to actually test and apply what they learn in the classroom and from textbooks.
- COMMUNAL INQUIRY. Honors students go beyond individual competition by interacting with one another as they discuss, examine, debate, pose questions, solve problems, and persuade each other. They engage in collaborative learning with respect for others in all their diversity – be it of age, race, religion, gender, or learning style.
- STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGY. The 21st -century information age is here and laptop computers and wireless classrooms enhance teaching and learning. They also keep everyone in this dynamic community wired and closely connected.
NEW UNDERSTANDINGS. Education is not simply about perpetuating previous pedagogies. Honors students find that their professors, classmates, and learning experiences have challenged and even jolted them to see things differently and to respond to experiences in ways previously outside their world view.
Additionally, the Pforzheimer Honors College offers its students SPECIAL ADVANTAGES that enrich their undergraduate experience. These include:
- SOCIAL AND CULTURAL EVENTS designed specifically for the Honors students are held on and off campus: UNICEF Club, yoga lesson, Guiding Eyes, Red Cross, Broadway plays, TRL on MTV, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Six Flags Great Adventure, Mystic Aquarium, Chocolate Factory, Habitat for Humanity.
- THE HONORS ADVISOR helps students plan their course schedules, guides them through their four undergraduate years, and helps them prepare for graduate school or employment after graduation.
- THE HONORS STUDY ROOM, available only to students in the Pforzheimer Honors College, provides a friendly place to study, chat, or enjoy an espresso with friends.
- AN HONORS SECTION OF THE DORMITORIES is available for Honors students who choose to live together with other Honors students.
These are only several of the values and advantages of the Pforzheimer Honors College. When combined with a group of exceptional students and outstanding professors, the mix is truly energizing! You are invited to join in the excitement--and success--of the Pforzheimer Honors College at Pace University!