Room Selection: Critical Details
Room Selection: Room Selection Number (RSN)
The RSN is the number that will determine the date and time of your online room selection appointment. The number is comprised of: (your class year + your GPA – demerits). Your class year is determined by the number of credits you have earned as of the time that you are applying for housing (your current credit load does not count), and is calculated as follows:
- 0-32 credits= 1 (freshman)
- 33-64 credits= 2 (sophomore)
- 65-96 credits=3 (junior)
- 97+=4 (senior)
- Graduate student=5
The GPA used is your current Pace University cumulative GPA. Demerits are deductions that you may have received based on judicial action. Your RSN will be communicated to you in the email that will be sent on March 25, 2013. Take time to review that email carefully. If you wish to contest your RSN (e.g. you are a transfer student and you do not believe that your full load of credits is being properly recognized; you have an incomplete that will be changed to a letter grade before the start of room selection) you must speak with the director of housing before the April 5th deposit deadline to appeal for a recalculation of your RSN.
MyHousing is an online tool, available through you Pace Portal, that you will need both for submitting your housing application and for selecting your actual room.
Where is MYHousing located?
- Log into your Pace Portal.
- Click on the student tab.
- The third link down on the left is the link for MYHousing.
- Log into MYHousing using your Pace Portal log in. If you have trouble with the link or logging in, please contact the IT Helpdesk.
I have been able to log into MYHousing, what should I do first?
The first item to complete is the online application. All returning students wishing to return to campus for the Fall 2013 semester must complete an online application.
To fill out the application:
- Click the box located under the Apply Online.
- Fill out the application completely and submit.
- If you submit your application too early (with incorrect or incomplete information) or have an issue with the application, please e-mail the director of housing (on the campus to which you are applying to live). She or he can reset your application to be filled out again if you have an issue.
I have filled out my online application and would like to take part in room selection, what is the next step that I need to complete to make sure that I can select a room for next year?
Having completed the application and submitted a housing deposit, you are ready to participate in room selection. Wait for the email from housing which will have your room selection appointment time, and then log in to My Housing at that time to choose your room (see below). In the meantime, be sure to review your room selection number (sent to you by email on March 25th), as that number determines when your room selection appointment will be.
What if I want to be part of a pair or larger group of students choosing housing together?
If you want to participate in room selection with one or more roommates, you can do so by following these steps. Please remember that students who are “linked” to one or more students only need ONE of their group to actually log in and choose a room at the time of room selection. Also, if you are linked to one or more students, you (and your group) will only be permitted to select rooms that have enough vacant beds to accommodate all members of your group. If you wish to select rooms with fewer available beds, you will need to dissolve the link between you, and you will need to individually participate in the online room selection process.
If members of a larger group attempt to select a room with fewer bed spaces, one or more members of their group may be left with NO HOUSING. Also, keep in mind that students can severe a link unilaterally and without notice. In such a situation, a student may believe they are linked to someone who will select a space for them, but they may get left out. It is the responsibility of all group members to ensure that they secure housing. If you leave this process up to one group member, be sure to follow up to verify that you were in fact assigned to a space in housing.
To send a roommate request:
- Highlight "Room Selection" and click on "Roommate" selection.
- Fill in Last Name, First Name, or e-mail address. If you have all of the information, you can fill it in but the Roommate search will as long as your fill in one field.
- Click on Request Student as Roommate.
- Repeat this process as many times as necessary to add one or two roommates to fill a double or triple room (students hoping to live in Fulton may choose to build groups of 4 or 6, but must keep in mind that quads and suites for 6 are extremely limited; if these rooms are no longer available, larger groups will need to break down into smaller groups in order to choose rooms)
If someone has sent you a roommate request, all you have to do is confirm it by clicking on the confirm button. You will be able to see on your Home/Overview or Roommate Selection pages if someone has requested you as a roommate.
To know if your roommate request has been confirmed or if you have confirmed a roommate request, your Home / Overview and Roommate selection page will show the name of the other person and then you will see “Matched Roommate Group”. If you see “Does Not Match” in red lettering, your request has not been confirmed.
Now you are ready to select a room. If you look at your Home/Overview page, there is a section at the bottom called “My Future Room Selection Process”. This area will be activated by April 5th, at which time you will be able to see the room selection process (referred to as "lottery"). This section will list the start time and end time of the "lottery", and your selection appointment.
You will be able to see what rooms are available after the start of that "lottery". You will not be able to select a room until your lottery selection time. Until then, you will only be able to see rooms that remain available.
If you and your matched roommate(s) have different selection times, your entire group can be placed at the time of the earliest person in your group. The person with the earliest time will need to log in before their selection time and then when they choose a room, they will be able to place the roommate(s) as well.
At the time of your room selection appointment:
- Be logged in before your selection time.
- Highlight Room Selection (under “navigation”) and click on Select Room/ Suite.
- Click on “FIND AVAILABLE ROOMS”
- You will then be able to see a list of the available rooms that you and your roommate(s) will be able to select.
- Click on "Select Room" next to the room you wish to explore (this will NOT immediately place you in the room).
- You will see a list of the bed in that room, as well as the names of any other student(s) already signed in to that room.
- If you wish to place yourself (and your roommates) in this room, choose one person’s name per available bed, click " I AGREE – SUBMIT MY ROOM SELECTION ", and you have your room assignment for next year.
- If you do not wish to place you (and your roommates) in this room, back out and try again with another room
- The process is not over until you click “I AGREE – SUBMIT MY ROOM SELECTION” and see the message “Congratulations – your room selection process is complete!”
Through MyHousing you may request one or more roommates. Roommates you request must confirm that they want to be paired with or attached to you before a pair or group can be finalized. Once a pair or larger group is formed, only one person from that group will need to participate in the online room selection.
Students are advised to stay in active communication with the members of their linked roommate group. Students may dissolve their connection to other students at any time. If a student is “dropped” from a group without their knowledge, and they were expecting their friend to choose a room for them, they may be left out of the room selection process.
Deposit Refund Policy for Returning Students
The $400 housing deposit/prepayment for returning students is refundable according to the following time table:
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) by June 1: 100% refund of deposit
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) by July 1: 75% refund of deposit
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) by August 1: 50% refund of deposit
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) by September 1: 25% refund of deposit
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) after September 1: 0% refund of deposit