Theme Floor Communities
Participate in a residence hall theme floor community and you’ll discover an avenue for connecting with peers, mentors and campus resources. Make the transition smoothly from high school to college life with the help of an upperclassman Resident Advisor. A theme floor community allows you to explore and experience Pace University and New York City with other students who share your interests. Give back to the local and global community through service learning projects and fundraising for charities specifically selected for each theme. Interact and network with professionals from the New York City community and Pace faculty members. Research shows that students who take part in theme floor communities have higher GPAs.
Theme Floor Communities 2013-2014:
- Between Takes (Film): Maria’s Tower - First Year Students
- Green Adventures: Maria’s Tower - First Year Students
- Honors: Maria’s Tower - First Year Students & 182 Broadway - Upper-class Students
- Exploring Social Justice: Maria’s Tower - First Year Students
- Mosaic (world cultures): Maria’s Tower - First Year Students
- Foodies (sustainability in dining): 55 John Street - First Year Students
- Civic Engagement: 55 John Street - First Year Students
- Studio/Art: 55 John Street - First Year Students
- Learn, Engage, Advance, Develop (LEAD): Maria's Tower - First Year Students & 182 Broadway - Upper-class Students
- The New York City Experience (NYCE): 182 Broadway Upper-class Students
Between Takes (Film): Maria’s Tower - First Year Students
- Everybody loves movies, but not everyone can connect what happens on the silver screen with their daily lives. We will take the movies you love and relate them to the life you lead.
- Sample Monthly Topics include the movies of NYC, horror, gay and Lesbian films, documentaries, comedy, drama
- Typical events and trips include Movie Sites of Central Park Walking Tour, Blood Manor Haunted House, Trips to the Movie Theatre, Metropolitan Museum of Art , The Museum of the Moving Image
Green Adventures: Maria’s Tower - First Year Students
- We are an eco-friendly community that aims to educate residents about our effect on the environment, while also allowing them to experience, give back to, and appreciate nature.
- Sample Monthly Topics include natural cycles, environmental justice, rainforest deforestation, restoration ecology, recycling & pollution, drinking water access, laws, politics, carbon footprint, sustainability, biodiversity, local organic fair trade movement
- Typical events and trips include horseback riding, Botanical Gardens, kayaking on the Hudson River, Brooklyn Aquarium, Union Square Farmers Market , hiking, indoor rock climbing
Honors: Maria’s Tower - First Year Students & 182 Broadway - Upper-class Students
- On the Honors Floors we are building a community of leaders and global citizens while encouraging scholarship, offering exciting opportunities and broadening horizons. Come figure out who you are, who you want to be and how you can make a difference in the world.
- Sample monthly topics include: gender/women’s issues, political ethics, sex and relationship ethics, media issues
- Typical events & trips include: Metropolitan Museum of Art, Toys ‘R’ Us, City Hall Tour, Museum of Sex, Museum of the Moving Image, Holocaust Museum
Foodies (sustainability in dining): 55 John Street - First Year Students
- Do you love food? Do you have a passion for sustainable practices in the culinary world? The purpose of culinary floor is to educate residents on the importance of food, not only as sustenance, but also as a representation of culture, politics, and health. You will explore many aspects of food; its preparations, meanings, and origins.
Exploring Social Justice: Maria’s Tower - First Year Students
- Join this safe and welcoming community and explore areas of social justice such as race, class, sexual identity, gender expression, ethnicity, and religion through a variety of programs and activities. Learn practical and powerful ways on how to impact communities both inside and outside of your own identities.
Mosaic (world cultures): Maria’s Tower - First Year Students
- Interested in learning about the many cultures throughout the globe and New York City? Join your fellow residents on trips to different neighborhoods of New York City and the amazing museums New York City has to offer.
Civic Engagement: 55 John Street - First Year Students
- Join the Civic Engagement themed floor community of dedicated students who have a commitment to giving back to our community through a variety of service learning opportunities. Join this community to make an impact both locally and globally.
Learn, Engage, Advance, Develop (LEAD): Maria's Tower - First Year Students & 182 Broadway - Upper-class Students
- Looking on how to develop your leadership skills and make the most of your time here at Pace? Through a variety of both academic and professional workshops as well as community building events, we will help shape you into the leader, for tomorrow.
Studio/Art: 55 John Street - First Year Students
- This floor will establish a creative community that provides students with the resources and inspiration necessary to develop their creative skills and abilities, collaborate with other students and local artists, and incorporate the creative arts into their academic development.
The New York City Experience (NYCE): 182 Broadway Upper-class Students
- This floor will expose students to NYC. A community of leaders will be developed immersing students into cultural and social activites. Each month a specific neighborhood (history, culture, food) and must see-spot in the city will be explored. Join the NYCE theme floor community and get this unique social, personal, and social experience all geared toward our campus, New York City.