With both men and women living longer and enjoying better health into their later years, retirement has become an extremely active phase of life in which many seniors finally have time to devote to causes and interests that have previously taken a backseat to careers or family obligations. And with so many charities and nonprofits in need of help, there's no shortage of volunteer opportunities available for those willing to donate their time and efforts during retirement!!
- National Community Service Senior Corps connects today’s 55+ with the people and organizations that need them most. Be a foster grandparent! To learn more visit: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/senior-corps
- VA Voluntary Service - http://www.volunteer.va.gov/
- Habitat for Humanity - they build and repair houses all over the world using volunteer labor and donations. http://www.habitat.org/getinv
- Big Brothers and Sisters - You have the opportunity to help shape a child’s future for the better by empowering him or her to achieve.
- Red Cross Disaster Relief: http://www.redcross.org/
- Local Humane Societies and Animal Shelters
- Volunteer at your local library, museum or hospital.
- Volunteer for a political campaign, grassroots organization, or political action committee for a candidate or cause you believe in!
- Meals on Wheels: These programs provide well over one million meals to seniors who need them each day. There are some 5,000 local Senior Nutrition Programs in the United States – find one near you.
- Volunteer Vacations: If you find yourself with both the time and the financial resources to travel seek adventures that will allow you to give back to society while seeing the world, this may be for you. Check out these volunteer vacation websites: