On-Campus Student Employment Procedure
Hiring a Pace University Student for On-Campus Employment
Step 1: Complete a Student Employment Requisition Form
This form should be fully completed and signed by both the Supervisor and the area Budget Rep.
For departments with Federal Work Study (FWS) funds:
- Forward the completed Requisition form for posting with a description in a separate MS Word document to Human Resources
For departments that do not have Federal Work Study funds:
- Forward the completed Requisition form for posting with a description in a separate MS Word document to Career Services, Attn: Mr. Fran Tripoli, firstname.lastname@example.org, fax 33377.
Step 2: Requisition ID# Confirmed
Federal Work Study:
- Once the position is posted Human Resources will provide this information via a confirmation email to the HM
Non Federal Work Study:
- Once the position is posted Career Services will provide this information via a confirmation email to the HM
Step 3: Receive Applications & Interview Students
- Interested students will apply by completing the Student Application for Employment and will send the completed application as an attachment to the hiring manager’s email address that is indicated on the posting.
- The hiring manager reviews all Applications. If you are only able to hire students with Federal Work Study, you may contact a Staffing Coordinator in Human Resources to verify Federal Work Study status of a student prior to interviewing or prior to extending the offer of employment.
Step 4: Hiring the Final Candidate(s)
Complete the Confirmation of Student Employment Form
- This form must be completed in full
- Both the supervisor and the student must sign the form
- To calculate the employee’s overtime rate of pay multiply the rate of pay by 1.5 unless you are paying a stipend.
- Fax the completed Confirmation or scan to email to the campus Staffing Coordinator in Human Resources
Step 5: Student Completes New Hire Forms
Instruct the student to visit the Human Resources web site: Human Resources > Forms > Forms For New Hires to print the following forms for New Hires:
- Personal Data Form
- Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 Form
- Authorization Agreement for Direct Deposit
- IT Acknowledgment Form
- Drug & Alcohol/Sexual Harassment Acknowledgment Form
- IT-2104 - Employee’s Withholding Allowance & Certificate Instructions (NY State)
IT-2104-1 – Certificate of Nonresidence and Allocation of Withholding
- IT-2104-E - Certificate of Exemption from Withholding (from NY State)
8233-Exemption from Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual
Step 6: Paying the Student
- Once all paperwork is received the employment record will be created or updated according to the schedule posted on the HR web site under Payroll Calendar > Staffing Deadlines.
- Timesheets will be generated for approval by the supervisor.
- All hours that the student works must be entered and approved by the supervisor in order for them to be paid. If you do not submit a time sheet the student will not receive payment for the hours that they have worked; therefore it is imperative that you do so in a timely manner.
- Please contact Financial Information Systems to learn how a student employee may log in and out of their time sheet on their own in order to note their hours worked. A supervisor must still approve these hours at the end of each pay period in the electronic time sheet in order for the student to receive a pay check.