On-Campus Student Employment Procedure
Hiring a Pace University Student for On-Campus Employment
Effective June 1, 2015, student employment positions will now be posted in PeopleAdmin. Listed below are directions on how to obtain the correct student position number and how to post the student position. Please note that this process replaces the Student Requisition and Confirmation of Student Employment forms.
1. Gain Access to People Admin.
If you do not already have access to People Admin - Careers@ Pace for Hiring Managers, located under the Staff tab on Pace Portal, have your business representative contact Staffing and Recruitment to request access. Be sure to ask them to include which org code(s) you will need access to.
2. Log into PeopleAdmin.
Once you’re logged in, select the “From Position” option under the Create Posting heading on the left-hand side of the page.
3. Type in the position number you’d like to hire for.
The student position number will have a prefix that will determine whether it is a student assistant position or a student intern position. Following the prefix, will be the department’s index number.
For example, student positions in Human Resources would be as follows:
AHR011 – HR Student Intern
1HR011 - Student Assistant
These positions are pooled which means that multiple students can be hired into the same position number at different rates. If you are unsure of the index number that the student positions should be paid out of, please contact your business representative. If you are recruiting for a brand new student position, OR if you type in the appropriate position number for your department and get a “no results found” message, that means you will need a new position number created. Please contact the compensation department at 914-923-2658 to request a new position number.
4. Once you find your position, click "Create." In the posting details section, be sure to fill in the following:
- Number of positions to be filled
- Departmental users with access (if not already filled in)
- Basic Function - This should be specific to your position. You may edit what's already filled in to fit your specifications.
- Position Qualifications - This should also be specific to your position. You may edit what's already filled in to fit your specifications.
- Work Hours - This is also specific to your position. You may edit what's already filled in to fit your specifications.
- Select "No" for external advertising
- Click "Save and Continue to Next" until you get to the last page, which will allow you to submit the posting. Nothing needs to be filled in on the other tabs.
- Once submitted, Staffing and Recruitment will review and post the position.
- There is no internal posting period for students. It will go live immediately after being posted so that students can begin applying.
5. Receive Applications & Interview Students
- Interested students will apply by completing an application for your posted position on People Admin.
- The hiring manager reviews all applications and interview candidates of interest.
6. Hiring the Final Candidate(s)
- Inform the Staffing Specialist on your campus of your new hire. You should be ready to provide them with a start date and hourly rate. You should also let them know who else, if anyone, was interviewed for the position so that they may status the positions and close them out properly.
7. Student Completes New Hire Forms
- Instruct the student to visit their campus Human Resources department at 156 William St. New York, NY or 235 Elm Rd. Briarcliff Manor, NY to submit New Hire Paperwork.
- Before visiting the office, the student can also visit the Human Resources Forms for New Hires web site to print the following forms:
- Personal Data Form and Appendix A
- Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 Form. Please pay special attention to the list of acceptable documents. These documents must be presented by new hires in order to begin working.
- Veteran and Disability Survey
- Human Resources Policy Acknowledgements
- W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
- IT-2104 - Employee’s Withholding Allowance & Certificate Instructions (FIll out if you are claiming taxes on w-4, line 5)
- IT-2104-1 – Certificate of Nonresidence and Allocation of Withholding
- IF APPLICABLE:
- IT-2104-E - Certificate of Exemption from Withholding (Fill out if you are claiming exempt on w-4, line7)
- 8233-Exemption from Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual
- The student must submit all forms and identification to their campus Human Resources office and cannot begin working until these forms are completed. Failure to submit the forms in a timely manner will result in delay of payment.
8. Paying the Student
- Once all paperwork is received the employment record will be created or updated according to the schedule posted on the HR web site under Payroll Calendar>Staffing Deadlines.
- Timesheets will be generated for approval by the supervisor.
- All hours that the student works must be entered and approved by the supervisor in order for them to be paid. If you do not approve a time sheet the student will not receive payment for the hours that they have worked; therefore it is imperative that you do so in a timely manner.
- Please contact Financial Information Systems to learn how a student employee may log in and out of their time sheet on their own in order to note their hours worked. A supervisor must still approve these hours at the end of each pay period in the electronic time sheet in order for the student to receive a pay check.