Information on H-1B Status


The H-1B is a temporary non-immigrant visa status granted to foreign national professionals based upon a job offer from an employer for a professional position. The employer must be willing to pay the appropriate wage for the position and abide by numerous other regulations and restrictions imposed by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Generally, a professional is one with a bachelor's degree or higher in a field acknowledged as a profession; the job being offered must require the skills of a professional. The employer is always the petitioner and the foreign national is the beneficiary of the employer's petition. An individual may hold H-1B status for up to six years.

Graduating students who wish to work in the U.S. beyond the expiration of their F-1 Optional Practical Training authorization or J-1 Academic Training authorization may be eligible for the H-1B visa. The International Students and Scholars Office can provide general information about the process and refer you to a reputable immigration attorney.

New international faculty members at Pace who are in need of the H-1B visa will be assisted by the Office of Human Resources. Please contact the Office of Human Resources for more information on policies, procedures, timelines and costs.