main navigation
my pace
International Students & Scholars

F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

In order to be eligible to participate in a paid/unpaid off-campus internship (CPT), F-1 international students must be enrolled full-time for one full academic year (two consecutive academic semesters). Exceptions to this include:

  • graduate students that require immediate participation in curricular practical training (internships for credit and/or part of the curriculum); and
  • transfer students, may be eligible, who have been enrolled in valid F-1 status at another institution pursuing an academic program prior to starting their academic degree at Pace.

For questions or to establish your off-campus employment eligibility, please contact an International Student Advisor.


  • All students seeking an internship must first obtain the Practical Training Eligibility Form signed by the International Student Advisor on your campus after meeting with a career counselor. Your eligibility will be determined by the length of time you have been in F-1 status.
  • Eligible students may intern up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time for the summer or winter break in a position that is related to the student’s major area of study.
  • You MUST obtain written authorization BEFORE beginning ANY internship. CPT is authorized on a semester and/or school break basis (one at a time). If students start a paid or unpaid Practical Training (internship) PRIOR to getting authorization (new Form I-20) from the International Student Office, they will be in violation of their visa status and the employer will be informed.
  • More information can be found in CPT Guidelines.
  • Attending a CPT workshop provided by ISS in cooperation with Co-op Career Services is highly recommended - CPT Workshop Schedule.