F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
In order to participate in paid/unpaid off-campus internship (CPT), F-1 international students must be enrolled full-time for one full academic year (two consecutive academic semesters). Exception to this is given to graduate students that require immediate CPT participation (internship is integral to and part of the curriculum).
Attention transfer students: You may be eligible for CPT immediately if you have been enrolled in valid F-1 status at another U.S. institution pursuing an academic program for at least one year prior to starting your academic degree at Pace.
- All students seeking an internship must first obtain the Practical Training Eligibility Form signed by the International Student Advisor on your campus after meeting with a career counselor. Your eligibility will be determined by the length of time you have been in F-1 status.
- Eligible students may intern up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time for the summer or winter break in a position that is related to the student’s major area of study.
- You MUST obtain written authorization BEFORE beginning ANY internship. CPT is authorized on a semester and/or school break basis (one at a time). If students start a paid or unpaid Practical Training (internship) PRIOR to getting authorization (new Form I-20) from the International Student Office, they will be in violation of their visa status and the employer will be informed.
- More information can be found in CPT Guidelines (PDF).
- Attending a CPT workshop provided by ISS in cooperation with Co-op Career Services is highly recommended - CPT Workshop Schedule.