Planning to Travel?
Study Abroad and your U.S. F-1 status
Are you interested in studying abroad while a student at Pace?
You may be qualified to study abroad and maintain your F-1 status. Follow these steps:
- Meet with a Pace study abraod advisor to explore your options.
- Once your study abroad plan is approved, ensure you register at Pace as a full-time student for your term abroad.
- Meet with an International Student Advisor (ISA) for guidance and obtain a travel signature on your current I-20.
- Inform an ISA of the approximate date you will depart the U.S.
- Inform an ISA of the approximate date of your return.
- Check your F-1 entry visa to see if it will be valid when you plan to return to the U.S. If you need to apply for a new visa, follow the visa renewal checklist (PDF) as well as Apply for a U.S. Visa.
- Research any immigration/visa requirements of your study abroad location.
This information does NOT apply to J-1 students. J-1 students might be eligible to participate in Pace Faculty-Led programs, please consult with ISS.