The Lubin Professional Experience
The Lubin Professional Experience (LPE) at Pace University's Pleasantville campus is a dynamic new program dedicated to providing our students with a one-of-a-kind professional experience in business education. The program provides a uniquely integrated educational experience in and out of the classroom that incorporates professional work in fields related to our students' academic and career goals.
WHAT LPE MEANS FOR YOU
Lubin Professional Experience graduates will enter the workplace better prepared and with better prospects for getting a job in the career of their choice than students at other schools. This program is backed by the largest internship program in the New York Metropolitan area, is supported by career relevant experiences and career-focused course work and is delivered within a four-year time frame with no additional cost or time needed to graduate.
Every Lubin freshman that has entered the school in the Fall 2013 semester and after will be required to complete various Professional Experiences in order to graduate. These experiences are:
- BUS 255
- Professional Standards
- Two (2) Required Professional Experiences
All students will take BUS 255, a one credit course dedicated to professional skills development focusing on career preparation through interpersonal communication, resume development, interviewing skills, professional behavior, networking and excellence in on-the-job performance.
Standards are promoted and practiced in all Lubin classes to ensure that students demonstrate good professional behavior including timeliness, engagement, leadership and effectiveness in team activities.
Students will be required to complete at least one internship during their time at Pace. During their internship experiences, students will be paired with a Faculty member that will oversee the internship from an academic standpoint. This relationship allows to student to grow both academically and professionally during their experience. Students may earn anywhere from 0-6 credits through their internship experiences.
On-Campus Leadership/Co-Curricular Experience
Part of a well-rounded, professional education includes participation in on campus organizations, clubs, athletics team, and other school-based activities. This experience is a great opportunity for students to take charge and gain immeasurable leadership experience. Students will get the chance to complete part of their professional experience requirement through co-curricular involvement.
LPE Qualifying Courses
Many Lubin School of Business courses implement real-world learning scenarios within the classroom. These classes encourage students to implement what they've learned in their business classes and apply their knowledge and skills in a way that will benefit them immensely upon graduation. There are LPE Qualifying courses within each discipline (Accounting, Finance, Management and Marketing) and each LPE Qualifying course will cover part of each students professional experience requirement.
- ACC 375: Accounting Information Systems (Spring)
- ACC 462: Auditing II (Fall + Spring)
- FIN 357: Student-Managed Investment Portfolio (Spring)
- FIN 330: Financial Planning (Fall)
- MGT 307: Hotel Management
- MGT 308: Travel and Tourism
- MGT 366: Leadership Principles and Practices (Fall)
- MAR 344: Customer Relationship Management (Fall – Odd Years)
- MAR 348: Advertising Team Workshop II (Spring)
- MAR 431: New Product Development (Fall – Even Years)
- MAR 445: Advertising and Communications Strategies (Spring)
- TAX 315: Practice, Procedure & Research in Taxation
OUTCOMES OF THE LPE PROGRAM
- Develop a college completion and career plan
- Achieve quality written communication skills in a business context, including resumes, cover letters and business documents
- Demonstrate oral communication skills in a presentation of their research or internship work
- Activate logical reasoning skills in decision-making
- Exhibit professional conduct and standards in school and in professional contexts
- Apply behavioral skills appropriate to business and professional situations