GPACT - Wharton Data Research Services (WRDS)
Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) is an Internet-based business data service. Members of the Pace community can obtain financial data through WRDS from the following databases:
- CRSP (Daily and monthly price and return data)
- Global Insight (formerly DRI)
- NYSE TAQ
- Bank Regulatory Database
- Dow Jones Averages
- Fama-French ("Research") Portfolios and Factors
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
- Foreign Exchange Rates
- Federal Reserve Bank reports
- Penn World Tables
- SEC Disclosure of Order Execution
The following instructions will guide you in obtaining your WRDS account.
Step 1: Point your web browser to http://wrds.wharton.upenn.edu
Step 2: Along the left-hand side you will see a link entitled "Account Request." Click on that link.
Step 3: Fill out the Account Request form.
Step 4: Once your account has been created, we will send an e-mail with your Log-in and Password information to your WRDS Representative, Thomas Miliano at firstname.lastname@example.org, who will forward the information along to you. This is part of our Authentication Process to ensure that no one outside Pace attempts to receive an account.
Step 5: You may log into WRDS and begin using your new account. Because our service is internet-based, you can access WRDS from anywhere in the world!
WRDS may be accessed via the web interface or through an NT or UNIX log in session. Once you have received your account information, consult the "Help" menu on the WRDS homepage for further instructions on using these access methods.
WRDS Security Issue: Switching from Telnet to SSH
As of January 28, 2003, WRDS no longer allows nonsecure Telnet connections. SSH is the replacement protocol that has made WRDS more secure by providing strong encryption, cryptographic host authentication, and integrity protection. This change is also prompted of a University of Pennsylvania policy that requires password transmissions to be encrypted during a network login process.
Thus, conventional Telnet users must switch to a 'shell' type program that uses the SSH protocol. There are numerous PC or client-side software programs that qualify, such as Secure Shell or SecrureCRT, that can be used to connect to WRDS and provide the same basic functionality of Telnet. This change will also require PC/SAS Connect users to change their connection configurations. We understand that numerous universities require SSH (instead of Telnet) connection and many WRDS users have been using the more secure connection method for some time. In addition, we have run numerous tests that show that the change does not affect the basic way that WRDS operates and can be used.
The WRDS support section carries directions on how to use SSH-based alternatives to Telnet and how to change your PC/SAS Connect script to meet the more secure standards. No change will be required for WRDS web browser logins, which already employ an analogous security step.
Account Parameters (applies to faculty, Ph.D., staff, and research accounts only):
- Home Directory: Users receive 750MB of permanent storage in their home directory. This is best used for storing programs and other small needs. The directory is located at /home/pace/username.
- Projects Directory: Users also receive 750MB of temporary project space. This directory is for projects that take more than one run to complete (i.e., needs a few days to generate) or take more than 25MB of space. Files in the project space will be deleted after two weeks. This directory is located at /projects/pace/username.
- SAS Temp Directory: There is a 90GB shared workspace designed for actively running programs. Output may be saved there at the completion of a program, but only to be IMMEDIATELY removed. This directory is located at /sastemp. Any file in /sastemp which is either not in use by an active program or being transferred to a user's home school can be deleted without prior notice. Files on /sastemp are deleted automatically every 48 hours. If a user's job exceeds these parameters, the process will automatically be deleted. To avoid this outcome, users are only permitted to run one program at a time. Multiple submissions are prohibited.
Our staff of technical and research specialists may be reached at email@example.com. They are available to assist you with difficulties pertaining to database access, data queries, and programming in SAS, FORTRAN, or C. If you request support related to a particular program which you are unable to execute successfully, please copy the program into the body of your e-mail for a quicker response. This is helpful for detecting any errors in your program.
We hope you enjoy your new WRDS accounts. We are confident that you will find the ease of access, abundance of data, and unique system features such a downloading your information to an MS Excel spreadsheet, Advanced Query capabilities, and e-mail notification feature a significant benefit to your research and teaching endeavors.
Feel free to contact me with any questions at (215) 898-9065.
Wharton Research Data Services
The Wharton School
Voice (215) 898-9065
Fax (215) 573-6073