Frequently Asked Questions


How do I register for classes or change my schedule?

Registration for an upcoming semester should begin as soon as you receive your registration notification via email or in your Pace Portal, either from the Graduate Admissions Office (for new students) or the Office of Student Assistance (OSA). Each semester, continuing students are given a priority registration number that will allow him/her to register anytime after their assigned date and time. Students may register by through the MyPace Portal or in person. To register through the MyPace portal, please follow the instructions at your Portal. Many classes fill up quickly. Please register as soon as you have permission to do so and if you have met the prerequisites for the class.

**You may not register for classes or change your schedule if you have a hold. Please click the "View Hold" button in the registration section of your Portal to determine the source of your hold and contact the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development (OGAASD)**

How do I add a class?

You may add a class to your schedule prior to the second class meeting by adding the class through your Portal, or by submitting a registration action form to OSA. If you add a class after the second class meeting, you must have written permission from the instructor, the department chair and the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement. You may not attend the class until you are officially registered for it.

You should refer to the Academic Calendar on the Pace web site to determine the exact dates for dropping or adding a class. You may drop/add through the MyPace Portal, or in person.

How can I register for a closed class?

Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Because you may get closed out of a preferred class section, always have at least one alternative choice ready. When you register online, you are able to see the class status before registering for it.

Many classes fill up quickly. Please register as soon as you have permission to do so. Students may not enter a closed class if they have other scheduling options or if the class room capacity has been met. If a class is closed, you may be put on a waitlist by the respective department. Being placed on a waitlist does not guarantee you a place in the class. Before contacting the appropriate department for a closed class, please see an advisor at the Office of Graduate Advisement.

How do I drop or withdraw from a class?

You may drop a class up to the second class meeting, without a notation appearing on your transcript. Please note: Tuition refund is based on a sliding scale. Please refer to the Office of Student Assistance for the refund scale.

You may withdraw up to the eighth class meeting without special permission. To do so, complete the registration action (add/drop) form found at the Office of Student Assistance, or you may drop via the Portal. After those dates and up to a week prior to the final exam, you may petition your instructor for withdrawal (if exceptional circumstances exist). You may not withdraw from a class for academic reasons. Once your instructor and the department have approved your withdrawal, you should bring the registration action form to the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development.

Failure to withdraw formally from a class will result in the receipt of an 'F' grade 6 weeks after the end of the semester and is used in the calculation of your QPA.

Please be aware that withdrawing from a class may jeopardize your F-1 visa status if you are an international student. If you are on an F-1 visa, and because of a withdrawal you fall below 9 credits of registration in any given semester and at any point in the semester you may be out of status with the US government. Please check with the International Students and Scholars Office for more information. If you have any concerns, please contact the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement for more information.

**You may not drop or withdraw from a class if you have a hold. Please click the "View Hold" button in the registration section of your Portal to determine the source of your hold and contact OGAASD**

If I withdraw from a class, how can I get a refund?

For the pro-rata tuition cancellation policy please contact the Office of Student Assistance.

If the student is forced to interrupt graduate studies due to serious illness, which is substantiated by a proper medical documentation, the student may apply to receive a pro-rata refund effective the date of withdrawal. If withdrawal takes place during the first eight weeks of classes, the student may receive a pro-rata refund of semester tuition and fees with the exception of the registration fee. For more information, please contact the Office of Student Assistance. If you do receive a refund, it is credited to your Pace account.

How do I pay my tuition?

Tuition payment may be made online (when paying in full by credit card), or in person. Payment information is available through the MyPace Portal after a student has registered.


How can I receive transfer credit?

Transfer credit is granted for all courses except MBA 688, and is applied towards the maximum of 6 credits. Courses eligible for transfer must be: To apply for transfer credit, submit a Request for Graduate Transfer Credit form (available at the OGAASD or on the Forms section of the Advisement webpage) with an official course and program description to the OGAASD. Official transcripts must be on file with the Office of Student Assistance. For transfer credit requests, it is necessary to include an outline of the graduate degree program from the institution in which the course was taken. Documents must be received directly from the home institution with translations from World Education Services (WES), if necessary.

How can I receive waiver of a Core Course?

For waiver, students must demonstrate proficiency by completion of prior applicable coursework at a regionally accredited or internationally recognized institution within 6 years of the student's first semester in the graduate program. Proficiency is recognized by the following:
  • Two directly related undergraduate courses of three or more credits each, completed within 6 years of the students initial enrollment, with minimum grades of 'B'.
  • One directly related graduate course of three or more credits, completed within 6 years of initial enrollment with a minimum grade of 'B'.
  • Completion of 15 or more undergraduate credits (in a discipline specific to the course to be waived) with satisfactory grades.
  • Students may also waive courses by passing a proficiency exam.
To apply for waiver of a core course, please fill out the Waiver Request form via the Help Desk at

All MS Accounting students should have their waivers evaluated by Graduate Admissions and the Accounting department upon admission to the program.

How can I change my major or degree program?

If you wish to change your major or degree program, you must complete a Change of Program form through the Help Desk at

It is strongly recommended that you choose your major/degree program as soon as possible. It is inadvisable to take career concentration courses and then change your major. The initial career concentration courses may not apply to the new major and will hence be in excess of your degree requirements. If you have any questions, please speak with an advisor from the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development.

If I cannot attend the scheduled final, how can I arrange to take a deferred exam?

If there are documented, extenuating circumstances that prevent you from taking the exam, such as serious illness (documented by a doctor's statement) or a business emergency (documented by an employer's letter), you may request a deferred exam. Students should notify their instructors as soon as possible before the final examination. Please note: Faculty are not required to accept petitions to defer finals.

Deferred exams are scheduled on one specific date for each Fall and Spring semester, listed in the Academic Calendar. All initial arrangements must be made with the instructor. If the instructor approves, application and fee payment must be made with the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development at least one week prior to the exam date.

How do I appeal a grade?

If you wish to have your final grade reviewed, you must first speak with the instructor who determined the grade. If you are not satisfied with the response, you may then appeal the grade through the department chair. Grades cannot be changed under any circumstances after 6 months or after graduation from your program.

How do I take a leave of absence?

If you do not wish to maintain matriculation during the Fall and Spring semesters, you must file a Leave of Absence with OSA and make sure you withdraw from all your classes if you are currently enrolled. Upon returning to school, you must file a Resumption of Study with OSA at least 8 weeks prior to the semester in which you wish to re-enroll. Please note: if your cumulative QPA was below a 3.0 when you were last enrolled, you are required to submit an appeal letter, addressed to Amy Greis, Director of Graduate Advisement, to resume your studies. Please allow additional time for the appeal process.

International students should be sure to check with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) to confirm any issues regarding their visa status.

Leave of Absence forms and Resumption of Study forms are available at the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development and at the Office of Student Assistance.

How do I change my contact information?

Please keep your personal contact information updated through the MyPace Portal.

How can I withdraw from school?

You may withdraw from a degree program at any point during your academic tenure. If you are currently enrolled, you are responsible for formally withdrawing from classes.

What must I do for graduation?

All students must file for graduation with OSA 9-12 months prior to their intended graduation date (check the specific deadlines in the Academic Calendar). Application for Graduation forms can be obtained from the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development and the Office of Student Assistance. It is strongly recommended that all students meet with an advisor in the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development prior to their final two semesters, in order to do a comprehensive program review. Please note: Students cannot obtain a diploma without officially filing for graduation.

What is the difference between a full-time (ft) and part-time (pt) student?

Academically, full-time students in the Lubin Graduate Program must take a minimum of 9 credits (or the equivalent) each semester. Students on F-1 visas must be full-time. Part-time students take 8 or fewer credits a semester and typically work full-time (35 or more hours per week). Financial Aid may have different criteria for determining ft or pt status. Please contact them directly for information.

Am I required to take BUS 043, Business Writing?

If it is a prerequisite in your degree program, and you have achieved an AWA of 4.5 or greater on the GMAT, you are waived from the class. If, however, you have not received that grade, you are required to take the class. Some international students are required to take ENG 040, which when completed and passed waives BUS 043.


What is the minimum Grade Point Average I must maintain?

In accordance with the guidelines established by the Lubin Graduate Academic Standards Committee, all Lubin graduate students are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in order to be considered in good academic standing. If a student's cumulative GPA falls below a 3.0 he or she will be placed on Academic Probation. A student on Academic Probation will receive a letter from the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development: however, probation is not contingent upon this letter. It is the student's responsibility to reach out to an academic advisor if he or she is in academic jeopardy. Any student with a GPA below 3.0 is not fulfilling the requirements of the program. In addition, students with a GPA below 3.0 will have a 'hold' placed on their registration. Students with holds must make an appointment with the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development at least six weeks prior to the start of a semester or they will be unable to register.

Provisional Matriculation
Some students are admitted to the Lubin graduate program as 'provisionally matriculated'. If students fall into this category, they will first be notified in their admissions letter. Students who are provisionally matriculated are monitored for their first 12 credits in the program. If they reach the end of 12 credits and have not achieved a 3.0 cumulative GPA, they may be dismissed from the program.

Probation Warning
Students who have a cumulative GPA below 3.0, but are still within their first 12 credits of study will be monitored and 'warned' regarding their academic standing. If the student reaches 12 credits without achieving a 3.0, he or she will be placed on Academic Probation.

Academic Probation
Once students are placed on Academic Probation, they are required to meet specific conditions in order to continue their enrollment and raise their GPA. These conditions will be outlined in a letter from the Office of Graduate Academic Advisement and Student Development. If a student on Academic Probation meets these conditions, he or she will be allowed to remain enrolled. If a student on Academic Probation reaches the 3.0 required GPA the registration hold will be lifted and the student will be taken off of probation.

Students who have not met the terms of their probation will be subject to dismissal from the school. Dismissal notifications are sent to students via USPS. There are two types of Academic Dismissals – those with an appeal option and those without an appeal option. If a student appeals his or her dismissal, the academic history is reviewed by the Lubin Graduate Academic Standards Committee of the Lubin Faculty Council. The committee may then allow the student to be re-instated to the program with defined academic conditions or may deem a final dismissal. Each dismissal case is treated on an individual basis. International students who are dismissed may be required to leave the country immediately dependent upon their visa status.

These academic standards policies are for informational purposes only and should not be considered a contract. Academic policies and procedures are subject to change. If you are a student in academic jeopardy, it is imperative that you contact Graduate Advisement immediately.


Academic integrity infractions can include, but are not limited to, copying and presenting the work of another as your own, collaborating with others on assignments intended to be done individually, using unauthorized resources such as an instructor's manual to complete assignments, copying the work of others during an exam, and failing to reference the work of others or creating fake references in your assignments. You may receive a failing grade in any assignment, exam, or course in which an infraction takes place, and you may be suspended or expelled from the school. When in doubt about what might be considered an academic integrity infraction, the best course of action is to ask your instructor for clarification.