GroupM Marketing Analytics Case Competition
Second Annual Marketing Analytics Case Competition – New York, NY
GroupM Business Science and Pace University's Lubin School of Business partnered to offer the Second Annual Marketing Analytics Case Competition in March 2013. Four talented student teams competed against one another to address real-world business questions and present solutions to a panel of expert judges from GroupM, Pace University, and Ad Council. Below are the winning teams, followed by a series of special mentions in two specific categories:
1st Place Team: Andrew Burakov, Han Yan, Xin Tang, Yucheng Xiang
2nd Place Team: Ben Fehleison, Laura Garcia, Neishanette Carty, Perry Britz
Most Innovative – Cong Cong Li, Elodie Beck, Phillippe Rocheron, Shiemi Lim
Most Comprehensive Introduction - Aliza Naqvi, Ashley Vetrano, Jamilla Pipersberg, Xinyao Liu
We also want to thank and recognize the effort of our executive sponsors, judges, and Pace University faculty advisors:
Laurent Colard – Managing Partner, GroupM Data & Analytics Services
Neil Braun – Dean, Lubin School of Business, Pace University
Tony Foleno –Senior Vice President, Research, Ad Council
Rachel Brook – Director, MediaCom Business Science
Anthony Miyake – Chief Economist, GroupM Data & Analytics Services
Sunhee Bai – Director, GroupM Data & Analytics Services
Jeremy Rose – Associate Director, GroupM Data & Analytics Services
Pace University Faculty Advisors
Ipshita Ray – Associate Professor of Marketing and Program Chair, Lubin School of Business, Pace University
Vishal Lala – Associate Professor of Marketing, Lubin School of Business, Pace University
About the Competition
The case competition teams provide critical perspective and real solutions to marketing problems/topics and have their ideas judged by professionals in the industry. This competition serves as a dynamic opportunity for students to apply their knowledge and skills and enhance their theoretical foundation in the marketing discipline.
>> click to download the fact sheet
Case Competition Timeline:
|February 4||GroupM briefing session at Pace|
|February 4||Registration opens to Pace students|
|February 13||Registration deadline|
|February 14||Case is sent out by e-mail to teams|
|March 7, 5 p.m.||Written case and PPT slides due by 5PM|
|March 8||Final presentations at GroupM||March 11||Winning team announced|
- Minimum of 2 students per team (4 max).
- Every team member must be either a full time or part time student at Pace University.
- The teams can be a combination of undergrad and masters-level graduate students.
- Students must be available to present their case in person on March 8th.
- Final presentation attire: business casual.
- To be eligible, teams must submit a completed registration form and resume by Wednesday, February 13, 2013.
- All participants must sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, in which the participants agree not to disclose, share, or distribute the data provided to any outside parties.
GroupM - North America Headquarters
498 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY 10018
- 1st place winners will be guaranteed interviews for internship and full-time positions with GroupM.
- GroupM will host a Networking Reception for all participants.
- Each team will receive individual participation certificates.
- Student teams may submit only one final response to the case study, which should address all questions asked.
- The written response must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
- The response must have reasonable spacing and font size (i.e. 12 pt. Arial).
- The response must not exceed five pages of text, with two additional pages in charts, graphs or exhibits.
- Student teams are encouraged to work on their own to solve the case, although they may solicit assistance from faculty. Any faculty assistance will be logged and reported back to judges.
- Final round presentations should be delivered in Power Point format. No more than 20 slides.
- All team members must participate in the final presentation.
- No team member, or faculty member, should be a current employee or consultant for GroupM.
Dr. Ipshita Ray, Associate Professor of Marketing
Dr. Vishal Lala, Associate Professor of Marketing
Juan Suarez, Director of Business Development
About GroupM Business Science:
GroupM Business Science is a full service analytics, data, business and marketing consulting practice within GroupM, a consolidated media investment management operation, serving as the parent company to some of the world's largest media agencies including Maxus, MEC, MediaCom, Mindshare, Catalyst and Xaxis. GroupM Business Science professionals consult with and provide actionable insights to help clients drive profitable marketing decisions that lead to growth. Our global team applies deep market knowledge, insight creation assets, and business expertise to address business issues.
GroupM is the management arm of WPP Group's media agencies, including such brands as Mindshare, MEC, MediaCom and MAXUS. We are the leading media investment network in the world and the stewards of nearly one-third of all global ad spending. Our clients are leaders in their respective industries and represent more than 330 of the Fortune Global 500, more than half of the NASDAQ 100 and more than 30 of the Fortune e-50. As an elite provider of communication services, our culture is built on fostering innovation and best practices to help our clients maximize their marketing and media objectives.
- GroupM is the leading global media investment management operation.
- Worldwide billings of US $91bn (RECMA, June 2011)
- Total worldwide market share: 32.7%
- Industry leading levels of investment in research and development.
- 400 offices in 81 countries
- 17,000 staff
- Part of WPP Group
Neil S. Braun is the Dean of Pace University's Lubin School of Business in New York since July 2010. He has previously been President of the NBC Television Network, Chairman and CEO of Viacom Entertainment, an internet and environmental entrepreneur, a film producer and corporate attorney. Braun serves on the board of directors, audit, compensation and governance committees of IMAX Corporation (NYSE), the board and finance committee of national anti-hunger organization Share Our Strength and is President of the Board of the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center. He has taught an MBA course in economic models of media and entertainment at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. He holds a BA from the University of Pennsylvania and a JD from the University of Chicago Law School.
Laurent began his career in 1997 with OHAL in London. OHAL is one of the world's largest econometrics modeling marketing consultancies. As an Associate Director in charge of Research and Development, he was in charge of OHAL's proprietary analytical tools and methodologies, as well as running key client relationships and project execution. In 2001 Laurent joined Accenture in London. He was part of a team in charge of setting up Accenture's Marketing effectiveness practice (now Accenture Interactive). He was instrumental in setting up the tools and processes used by Accenture in the marketing ROI space, and helped grow the practice to more than 50 people globally. In 2002 Laurent moved to Singapore to establish the Asia-Pacific Accenture Marketing Sciences practice and oversee the development of its technology toolkit. Laurent joined GroupM in January 2005, based in New York. In this role he led the design, development and rollout of the Live platform. Live is now one of the world's most advanced Marketing Performance Management platforms, with implementations across 40 customers in 20 countries. Laurent manages a team of 40 technology specialists that develop, support and implement Live on behalf of some of the world's largest advertisers. In addition, Laurent now oversees GroupM's North American Data & Analytic Services, including all capabilities delivered through this team. He also advises GroupM's global executive committee on its overall data strategy and execution.