April: ITS Connect
This month's ITS Connect brings faculty and staff important announcements about the Mobile Technologies User Group, faculty focus groups on classrooms, and the end of support for Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003.
Mobile Technologies User Group for Students, Faculty, and Staff
The Mobile Technologies User Group will continue to meet throughout the spring to share and discuss exciting ways that mobile devices can be used in the classroom. Please see the schedule below. All meetings will take place in the main VC rooms (Miller 16/Civic E 319). All are welcome!
- Wednesday, April 9: 12:15 p.m.-1:15 p.m.
- Thursday, May 8: 3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
To catch up on previous meetings visit the Mobile Technology User Group blog.
Classroom Focus Groups for Faculty
The classroom focus groups will occur after the Faculty Council meetings with the exception of the April 9 session which will be held online.
- April 2: 2:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m. - NYC (Aniello Bianco Room)
- April 4: 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. - PLV (Butcher Suite)
- April 9: 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. - Online (http://bit.ly/PTx3p9)
Please join us for a roundtable discussion about our classrooms to help us improve our current rooms, as well as plan for the future. We seek input on the spaces, including but not limited to the technology, the furniture, the layouts and the physical aspects of the classroom.
We will have representatives from ITS, Buildings and Grounds, and Scheduling join us in these conversations to better understand the changing needs of faculty and students so that we can work together to enhance the teaching and learning experience for all.
End of Support for Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003 for All Users
A reminder that on Tuesday, April 8 Microsoft will no longer provide security patches, product updates and hot fixes for all versions of Windows XP due to its longstanding plans to end support for this operating system version. Please see more detailed information on the following sites: Windows XP and Microsoft Office. This change could potentially expose our university faculty, staff and student body to undue risks since both versions will no longer be updated or patched by Microsoft.
What does this mean if you are a Windows XP and Microsoft Outlook 2003 User?
- If you are running Windows 7 or Office 2007 or above nothing needs to be done. (NOTE: ITS highly recommends that if you are using Microsoft Office 2007, you upgrade to at least Microsoft Office 2010 or Microsoft Office 2013 in order make the best use of the latest features and tools.)
- If you are running Windows XP on a personal machine, ITS recommends that you use this opportunity to update your older hardware with equipment that can support updated versions of the operating system of at least Windows Vista or above. If you are unsure how to do this, we recommend using services such as Best Buy’s Geek Squad Tech Support or something similar to perform the upgrade since ITS’s Walk-In services will not be able to address these requests on personal equipment. Click on the following links to find out the minimum requirements for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. (NOTE: ITS highly recommends you upgrade to at least Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 in order make the best use of the latest features and tools.)
ITS will be focusing on working with department IMOs to address all Pace-owned equipment within our university environment over the next few months.
To find out more information on this subject please reach out to the ITS Help Desk at (914) 773-3333 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emergency Notifications
- President's Blog
The Pace Encore Transition Program, inspired by the growing Encore Movement, encourages and assists successful executives and professionals to explore the transition from midlife careers to encore careers.
Making the Transition
Clare van den Blink will join Pace University as Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, effective August 18, 2014.
Pace’s New CIO
We know you’re looking forward to summer. But why not look just a little more forward to the annual Race for the Cure on September 7? Join the Pace team today to save on registration fees.
Run Breast Cancer Out of Town