ITS Connect: April
Contests, computer lounges, course evaluations, and more. Here's what's happening this month at ITS.
Here's what ITS has been up to this month:
Pace Votes Application for Students
ITS and SDCA have developed a fantastic new voting application which is ready just in time for the Spring student elections! This recently created in-house system provides easy access for students to review, evaluate and vote for their student government officials. Good luck to all candidates!
ePortfolio Spring Contest for Students
Don’t forget the ePortfolio Spring Contest is still going! Winners will receive a gift card, a digital badge to display on LinkedIn, and will be recognized at the ePortfolio showcase ceremony. We’re looking for creative, organized, and accessible portfolios on personal and professional growth. The deadline is Friday, April 25 so get started on your ePortfolio today! To submit, log-in to https://eportfolio.pace.edu and click the link titled “Enter the 2014 ePortfolio Spring Contest” on your ePortfolio Dashboard. After you answer three quick questions you can click submit. Also check out our ePortfolio newsletter for the latest ePortfolio news.
Briarcliff Manor Computer Lounge for Students
During spring break ITS worked with Residential Life and Buildings and Ground to move the computer lab formerly located in the upstairs corner of the Briarcliff Café to a more centralized, easily accessible site. The new location is located in the basement of Dow Hall in the mail services lounge area. The new setting will allow 24-hour access to the lab and is a much larger location with lounging tables and chairs located throughout the area. Students should stop by and visit!
Raffle for Students
Three lucky winners were selected and notified on Monday, March 24! Thank you to everyone who participated! ITS uses our Twitter and Facebook pages to share technology-related information, announcements, and news with the Pace community. Just like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and you can have convenient access to pertinent information and possible future contests.
Mobile Technologies User Group for Students, Faculty, and Staff
The Mobile Technologies User Group will continue to meet throughout the spring to share and discuss exciting ways that mobile devices can be used in the classroom. Please see the schedule below. All meetings will take place in the main VC rooms (Miller 16/ Civic E 319). All are welcome!
Thursday, May 8: 3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
To catch up on previous meetings visit the Mobile Technology User Group blog.
Google Email Accounts Moving to Microsoft Exchange for Students
A reminder to all students that we are transitioning Pace student email accounts from Google Apps (https://google.pace.edu) to Pace’s Microsoft Exchange email system (https://email.pace.edu). ITS has begun to manually move student accounts. Students will be notified via email when their accounts are ready to be migrated. Please follow the instructions listed in the email. (Please note: Students are still able to use the Early Migration Opt-In Tool during this time.) For further information and/or updates students can reference our Student Email Migration to Outlook Exchange website.
End of Support for Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003 for All Users
A reminder that as of Tuesday, April 8, Microsoft will no longer provide security patches, product updates and hot fixes for all versions of Windows XP due to its longstanding plans to end support for this operating system version. Please see more detailed information on the following sites: Windows XP and Microsoft Office. This change could potentially expose our university faculty, staff and student body to undue risks since both versions will no longer be updated or patched by Microsoft.
What does this mean if you are a Windows XP and Microsoft Outlook 2003 User?
1. If you are running Windows 7 or Office 2007 or above nothing needs to be done. (NOTE: ITS highly recommends that if you are using Microsoft Office 2007, you upgrade to at least Microsoft Office 2010 or Microsoft Office 2013 in order make the best use of the latest features and tools.)
2. If you are running Windows XP on a personal machine, ITS recommends that you use this opportunity to update your older hardware with equipment that can support updated versions of the operating system of at least Windows Vista or above. If you are unsure how to do this, we recommend using services such as Best Buy’s Geek Squad Tech Support or something similar to perform the upgrade since ITS’s Walk-In services will not be able to address these requests on personal equipment. Click on the following links to find out the minimum requirements for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. (NOTE: ITS highly recommends you upgrade to at least Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 in order make the best use of the latest features and tools.)
ITS will be focusing on working with department IMOs to address all Pace-owned equipment within our university environment over the next few months.
To find out more information, please reach out to the ITS Help Desk at (914) 773-3333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dyson Course Evaluations
Course evaluation is critical in providing constructive feedback to faculty and their departments on the quality of instruction delivered at Pace. Dyson College is urging students taking Dyson courses to participate. To begin the evaluation, refer to the following link: https://www.digitalmeasures.com/login/pace/student. Log in using your MyPace Portal user name and password. It is important that you complete all of your Dyson College course evaluations during the timeframe that they are available: Tuesday, April 22–Tuesday, May 6 to avoid the Dyson College grade delay. Full instructions can be found here: Important Course Evaluation Information. Grades will be delayed until Friday, May 23 for any students who have not completed all of their evaluations by the deadline noted above. Further details regarding the Dyson Course Evaluation process will be sent out to your Pace email when the period opens. For questions or more information, please contact Rich Miller (email@example.com).
- Academic Programs
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Advisement
- Advising Center for Exploring Majors
- Athletics and Recreation
- Career Services
- Center for Academic Excellence (CAE)
- Center for Community Action and Research (CCAR)
- Class Schedule
- Colleges and Schools
- Computer Labs
- Dining Services
- Disabilities and Accommodations
- Diversity and Multicultural Affairs
- Extended Hours for Students
- Financial AId
- Health Services
- Housing and Residential Life
- ITS Help Desk
- International Programs and Services
- LGBTQA Center
- New Student IT Resources
- Office of First Year Experience
- Office of Student Assistance (OSA)
- Pace One Card
- PaceAlert System
- Pforzheimer Honors College
- Safety and Security
- Scholarships and Grants
- Student Development and Campus Activities (NYC)
- Student Development and Campus Activities (PLV)
- Student Grievance Procedures
- Student Handbook
- Student Health Insurance
- Student IT Resources
- Student Organizations and Clubs
- Study Abroad
- Summer Session
- Transfer Student Services
- Tutoring Center
- White Pages
- Writing Center
- President's Blog
- Emergency Notifications
- Schedule Explorer
- Textbook Lookup Utility
Pace Professor Helane Levine-Keating, PhD, shows Pace students the write stuff at her forum on women writing on December 2.
Women Writing (NYC)
First in your fam to attend college? Let Pace celebrate you at a first-generation celebration on December 1 in NYC.
First Generation Celebration (NYC)
During this season of thanks, we're thanking Pace's donors for giving to the University and our students with what we think is one of the most awesome videos we've ever seen. Time to see your future in "The Opportunitas Booth."
The Opportunitas Booth