Summit on Resilience II (NYC)
As memories of Superstorm Sandy fade, what lessons have measurably shaped public-private partnerships in ways that bolster urban resilience?
On Monday, October 20, join Pace University and invited guests for a an informative and thought-provoking discussion. For too long, even when history, science, or security analysis reveal significant vulnerabilities, the societal and political response has been to discount the need to design both structures and policies with the worst in mind. Because there is also a tendency to forget lessons learned after the worst has happened, a kind of disaster amnesia sets in.
In an intensive half-day session, leaders from key industries, divisions of government, and research institutions will engage in a series of conversations focused on successes and failures in the wake of this historic storm and surge. Pace University President Stephen J. Friedman will sit down with featured speaker and Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Patrick Foye for a discussion about the way we handled Superstorm Sandy and its aftermath.
Following this Q&A session, there will be two main panels which examine different facets of disaster and recovery efforts. Details are as follows:
Private and Public Sector Panel—Risk Management Perspectives
Discussion on physical restoration, general insurance claims for loss of records, interruption of business, and what worked well during Superstorm Sandy.
Moderator: Rose Littlejohn, managing director, Business Services and LETS, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- • David Kaufman, director of policy and program analysis, FEMA
- • Vincent Barrella, mayor, Point Pleasant, New Jersey
- • Jill Dalton, managing director, Global Risk Consulting, AON
- • Gary Lawrence, vice president, chief sustainability officer, AECOM
Utilities and Experts on Distributed Power Panel Perspectives
Discussion on distributed power to identify policy shifts that could lead to better results next time.
Moderator: Andrew Revkin, “Dot Earth” blogger, The New York Times; senior fellow, Pace Academy for Applied Environmental Studies.
- • Tom Bourgeois, director U.S. Department of Energy’s Northeast Clean Energy Center, deputy director, Pace University Energy and Climate Center
- • Bob Schimmenti, vice president, Engineering and Planning, Con Edison
- • Daniel Zarrilli, director of recovery and resiliency, Mayor's Office NYC
- • Chris Levendos, vice president, National Operations, Verizon Wireless
Members of the Pace Community can attend for free. Use discount code PACE when you register. For more information about Summit on Resilience II, visit www.pace.edu/resilience2014.
- Academic Programs
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Advisement
- Advising Center for Exploring Majors
- Athletics and Recreation
- Career Services
- Center for Academic Excellence (CAE)
- Center for Community Action and Research (CCAR)
- Class Schedule
- Colleges and Schools
- Computer Labs
- Dining Services
- Disabilities and Accommodations
- Extended Hours for Students
- Financial AId
- Global Pathways
- Health Services
- Housing and Residential Life
- ITS Help Desk
- International Students
- LGBTQA Center
- New Student IT Resources
- Office of First Year Experience
- Office of Multicultural Affairs, NYC
- Office of Student Assistance (OSA)
- Pace One Card
- PaceAlert System
- Pforzheimer Honors College
- Safety and Security
- Scholarships and Grants
- Sexual Assault Resources
- Student Development and Campus Activities (NYC)
- Student Development and Campus Activities (PLV)
- Student Grievance Procedures
- Student Handbook
- Student Health Insurance
- Student IT Resources
- Student Organizations and Clubs
- Study Abroad
- Summer Session
- Transfer Student Services
- Tutoring Center
- White Pages
- Writing Center
- Emergency Notifications
- Schedule Explorer
- Textbook Lookup Utility
Beta Alpha Psi, Pace’s organization for career development in finance and accounting, has a number of professional and community service events coming up. Help others, and help yourself!
Beta Alpha Psi Events (NYC)
‘Tis the season to celebrate in style. Join SDACA and SGA for some holiday fun on November 29 in the Bianco Room.
Winter Spectacular (NYC)
Save the date! On December 8, head to the Setters Lounge for a holiday bash to remember.
Hooray for the Holidays! (PLV)