Top 5: Labor Day Weekend
Kick off the semester by ending the summer in style. Here are some great ways to soak in the sun—and the city—this Labor Day Weekend!
Every month, we're going to be bringing you a themed top five list of things to do off-campus. This month, we bring you some Labor Day fun in the sun (and indoors for those who'd rather stay out of the heat):
5 Things to Do in New York City Labor Day Weekend
- Smorgasburg: Called “the Woodstock of Eating” by the New York Times, Smorgasburg is a showcase of 100+ rising food vendors in New York City. Featuring every type of snack under the sun—including Mighty Quinn’s Barbecue, Red Hook Lobster Pound, and Blue Marble Ice Cream—there is truly something for everyone. Head out to Brooklyn to get a taste of this culinary dream, or walk on down to the South Street Seaport for the satellite version!
- West Side County Fair: The homespun spirit of your local county fair teams up with the Big Apple for an unforgettable display of carnival rides and games, live bands, sideshow performers, aerialists, reptile shows, and more!
When: Sunday, September 6, 1:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
Where: Riverside Park South Pier 1 (68th Street and Riverside Drive)
- The New Whitney Museum: The Whitney Museum has long been a pre-eminent fixture in the New York City art community. Now, it’s got a swanky new home in the meatpacking district with a number of stunning exhibitions, including America Is Hard to See, a collection that re-examines the history of American heart from the 20th century to present.
Head to the Whitney on Friday night, when the museum offers a “pay what you wish” rate at the admissions desk from 7:00p.m.–9:30 p.m.!
When: Friday–Saturday, 10:30 a.m.–10:30 p.m.
Where: 99 Gansevoort Street, New York, NY 10014
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden: Showcasing the very best in urban gardening and horticultural display, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden may be the most aesthetically breathtaking landmark New York City has to offer. Check out one of the most beautiful gardens in the world before the summer draws to a close!
When: Tuesday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.; Saturday–Sunday, 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Where: 990 Washington Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11225
Coney Art Walls: Like street art? Head down to historic Coney Island and check out this rarified outdoor museum featuring work from some of the most influential street artists of our generation, including Kenny Scharf, Lady Pink, Crash, Shepard Fairey, and more! The art is tastefully complemented by 12 artisanal food vendors. Or of course, you could head down to the famed Coney Island boardwalk and grab a world-famous Nathan’s hot dog!
When: Monday–Sunday, 11:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
Where: 3050 Stillwell Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11224
5 Things to Do in Westchester Labor Day Weekend
- CORNucopia: A Labor Day weekend classic, CORNucopia is a maize-lovers dream. Eat corn inspired delicacies such as corn bread, corn salsa, and sweet corn ice cream, experience historic and modern cooking demonstrations, and take part in corn-themed games in the aptly named CORNival arena. All in all, a great way to accelerate into autumn.
When: Saturday, September 5–Monday, September 7, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Where: 381 North Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591
- Recreational Kayaking: Enjoy the beauty of nature and get in a nice workout! Hudson River Recreation offers kayak rentals from the Echo Canoe and Kayak launch in Croton—whether you’re a kayak veteran or eager first-timer, the Croton River is perfect for all skill levels! Or, if you want to be really adventurous, become a riverwalker with stand up paddleboarding!
When: Refer to the calendar for tour, lesson, and rental details
Where: 299 Palmer Avenue, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591
- Jacob Burns Film Center: Close the curtain on the summer with a bit of culture. The Jacob Burns Film Center is a state-of-the art theater and cultural arts center specializing in indie, classic, and documentary films. Grab some popcorn and enjoy some high culture right in the heart of Pleasantville!
When: Monday–Sunday, see schedule for showtimes
Where: 364 Manville Road, Pleasantville, NY 10570
- Rockefeller State Park Preserve: Pleasantville is only 30 miles away from the frenetic pulse of New York City, which is something that’s quite hard to believe when immersed in the boundless serenity of Rockefeller State Park. Enjoy outdoor activities ranging from fishing, to hiking, to picnicking, all whilst enjoying scenic views courtesy of the great outdoors.
When: Monday–Sunday, 7:00 a.m.–sunset
Where: 125 Phelps Way, Pleasantville, NY 10570
- Pleasantville Farmer’s Market: Head on down to the largest farmer’s market in Westchester County! The Pleasantville Farmer’s Market, voted “Best of Westchester 2014” by the readers of Westchester Magazine, features access to foods that may not always be available in the local supermarkets—including artisanal cheeses, organic beef and chicken, and a wide variety of fresh fish from Pura-Vida fisheries.
When: Saturday, September 5, 8:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
Where: 10 Memorial Plaza, Pleasantville, NY 10570
- Academic Programs
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Advisement
- Advising Center for Exploring Majors
- Athletics and Recreation
- Career Services
- Center for Academic Excellence (CAE)
- Center for Community Action and Research (CCAR)
- Class Schedule
- Colleges and Schools
- Computer Labs
- Dining Services
- Disabilities and Accommodations
- Extended Hours for Students
- Financial AId
- Global Pathways
- Health Services
- Housing and Residential Life
- ITS Help Desk
- International Students
- LGBTQA Center
- New Student IT Resources
- Office of First Year Experience
- Office of Multicultural Affairs, NYC
- Office of Student Assistance (OSA)
- Pace One Card
- PaceAlert System
- Pforzheimer Honors College
- Safety and Security
- Scholarships and Grants
- Sexual Assault Resources
- Student Development and Campus Activities (NYC)
- Student Development and Campus Activities (PLV)
- Student Grievance Procedures
- Student Handbook
- Student Health Insurance
- Student IT Resources
- Student Organizations and Clubs
- Study Abroad
- Summer Session
- Transfer Student Services
- Tutoring Center
- White Pages
- Writing Center
- Emergency Notifications
- Schedule Explorer
- Textbook Lookup Utility
Beta Alpha Psi, Pace’s organization for career development in finance and accounting, has a number of professional and community service events coming up. Help others, and help yourself!
Beta Alpha Psi Events (NYC)
‘Tis the season to celebrate in style. Join SDACA and SGA for some holiday fun on November 29 in the Bianco Room.
Winter Spectacular (NYC)
Save the date! On December 8, head to the Setters Lounge for a holiday bash to remember.
Hooray for the Holidays! (PLV)