NYS Dairy Hearing
Pace Academy's 2014 Mock Environmental Hearing
Building a New York Dairy Industry that is
Economically, Environmentally, and Ethically Sound
In April 2013, Pace Academy for Applied Environmental Studies hosted the University’s first Mock US Senate Hearing on the Clean Water Act. In 2014, we launched our second Mock Environmental Hearing, this time with the lens focused in on NY State.
It’s more than a glass of milk. On April 25th, Pace University students gathered at the NYS Judicial Institute at Pace Law School in this joint hearing of the New York State Assembly Standing Committees on Environmental Conservation and Agriculture.
Six teams of undergraduate students stepped into the role of “expert witnesses.” With the guidance of the Pace Law School students assigned as their legal counsel, a faculty advisor, and Pace Academy staff, our student activists presented testimony that scrutinized current conditions and made recommendations on how NY can best create policies that will ensure humane treatment of animals, affordable and healthy products, vibrant farming communities, and the protection and enhancement of the natural environment and economy of the State.
Student teams represented advocacy groups for the myriad stakeholders, including:
- Small Farmers - The New York Farmers Alliance
- Animal Welfare - New Yorkers for the Ethical Treatment of Cows
- Environmental Protection - Naturalists Opposing CAFOs (NO-CAFO)
- Business - Telios Greek Yogurt
- Public Health - Public Health Initiative Team (PHIT)
- Students - Student Interest Protection Program
Presiding as our Mock Assemblymembers were six esteemed experts in public service, law, policy, agriculture, and the environment.
Representing the NYS Assembly Standing Committee on Environmental Conservation:
- Chairman: Hon. Glen Bruening - Judge, New York State Court of Claims; Former Assistant Counsel to the NY Governor
- Karen Doyle, Esq – Attorney at Law; Former Counsel at NYC Law Department
- David Yassky – Dean, Pace Law School; Former Member of the New York City Council
Representing the NYS Assembly Standing Committee on Agriculture:
- Chairman: Christopher Malone, PhD – Academic Chair of Political Science, Pace University
- Kate Fitzpatrick, Esq – Counsel, WilmerHale; Member of the NYC Bar Association Animal Law Committee
- Patrick Manning, MPA – Founder/Chairman Emeritus, Hudson Valley Fresh, Inc.; Former NYS Assemblyman
Every student in this year's program deserves the highest praise for their dedication to their research and preparation. Taking home the prize for Best Testimony was the Environmental Protection Team (NO-CAFOs): Jessica Alba, Ryan Ali, Jaclyn Barbato, George Garcia, Anthony Jones, Haylei Peart, Elizabeth Piper Phillips, and Jessica Sanchez.
Best Orator was awarded to Sania Azhar (pictured left) from the Animal Welfare Team (New Yorkers for the Ethical Treatment of Cows) for the passionate case she made for treating cows with respect and dignity.
Mackenzie Ferguson received recognition as Runner-Up for her incredible poise during her Business Team's (Telios Greek Yogurt) rigorous Q&A session.
This year's Mock Hearing was a key part - and finale - of our latest awareness initiative:
The FoodYou Campaign.
Pace Academy’s FoodYou Campaign is about the way that our choices, as individuals and as a society, intersect with the environment. During this 2013-2014 awareness initiative, we will examine some of the many pieces that are set in motion by what we put on our plates. Through events and partnerships, the campaign will broaden the Pace community’s understanding of our global food system. We’ll be talking about the FoodYou design, cultivate, kill, water, afford, waste, torture, share, and more.
Visit our website to find more ways you can get involved.