FAQs about Certification for Alternative Certification Students

What type of certification is required for me to start teaching?

A Transitional-B certificate. This is a temporary certificate valid for three years.


What documents are required for Transitional-B certification?

  • Copies of your full NYS test scores.
  • Copies of your three mandated workshop certificates in violence prevention, child abuse detection and The New York State Dignity for All Students Act (DASA-Training in Harassment, Bullying, Cyberbullying and Discrimination in Schools: Prevention & Intervention).
  • After you obtain a teaching position you will also need to complete and submit Placement and Teaching Schedule forms. These are required in order to assign you a Field Consultant and to evaluate and determine your certification area.

All paperwork must be received and reviewed before we can recommend you. You cannot be certified without institutional recommendation. 


How can I obtain copies of my New York State test scores?

These will be sent to you as PDF file attachments a month after you take the test. We highly recommend that you print a hardcopy and save it, as the state only keeps them on file for three years.


How can I obtain copies of my mandated workshop certificates?

  1. Sign on to the MyNYCTF page
  2. Select the Learning Management System tab
  3. Print the required course certificates.


Do I have to be certified my first day of teaching?

No. You cannot be recommended until we have a chance to review your teaching schedule, which will not be available until your first week of the school year.


How will my certification area be determined?

This will be based on several factors: your undergraduate degree major, your teaching placement, and your actual teaching schedule.


When can I expect to be recommended for my certificate?

Recommendations usually begin in the latter part of September or early October, after your teaching schedule is received and reviewed.


How do I apply for my certificate?

The application is submitted online via the New York state’s TEACH system at http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/apply.html

We recommend that you register with the TEACH system when you begin your program at Pace.