New York State Teacher Certification Examinations
As part of New York State teaching certification requirements, students will be required to pass the following exams. For more detailed information and resources around each of these exams, please click on the link for each exam below:
- the Teacher Performance Assessment (EdTPA)
- the Educating All Students Test (EAS)
- the Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST)
- the Content Specialty Test (CST)
The new exams have begun to available since September 2013. Students should not take the LAST exam or the ATS‑W; those tests will NOT count toward certification.
For more information on each exam, please click on the relevant link above.
For more information about the certification exams in general, you may access a helpful webinar produced by the CUNY (City University of New York) Office of Academic Affairs as part of the CUNY Teacher Education Preparation series, which include short videos (ranging in duration from 12-16 minutes) about important topics related to certification, which we have posted throughout our Certification section. You may access the video of the Webinar “New York State Certification Exams 101” via YouTube or view the presentation. We are grateful to the CUNY Office of Academic Affairs for allowing us to share these resources with our candidates at Pace University.
For more information on the new teacher certification exams from the New York State Education Department, please visit the NYSTCE website at www.nystce.nesinc.com. You may access NYSTCE Preparation guides and materials (for all exams, new and old) from New York State here.
Computer-Based Tests (CBTs)
Computer-Based Tests (CBTs) require that you complete all features and sections of an examination on a computer within a test center Exams required for certification, including the ALST, EAS and all subject CSTs are now solely offered as computer-based tests. The NYSTCE uses Pearson VUE to administer and manage the exams needed for certification.
The following references and resources may help you prepare for successful completion of these exams in this format.
Before you register for exams, you will want to find a testing location and learn more about the computer-based testing platform.
Helpful Tips & Information
- Registration for all exams is on a first come, first served basis, with exam appointments scheduled for Mondays-Saturdays. Registering for exams as early as possible is recommended—plan accordingly to what best fits your schedule. Click here for information from the NYSCTE Program about registering for exams online.
- What to expect. This tutorial from the NYSTCE Web site was created to allow you to become more comfortable with the layout and format of CBTs. It includes important information about navigating through the exams, flagging questions for review and ending your exam. This document (PDF) outlines features and general directions for CBTs.
On the Day of Your Exam
- Arrive early. Plan to arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled test time.
- If you arrive 15 minutes later than your scheduled test time, you may be denied admission to the test.
- If you miss the exam, you will not get a refund of the test fee.
- Bring current identification that includes your photo and signature. Your identification must match your registration name. For example, if your identification includes a middle name or initial, you must register with that name exactly.Examples of identification: Driver’s license, State ID issued by a DMV, National ID, Military ID, Alien Registration Card (green card, permanent resident visa)
- Please read this list of items that you may NOT bring with you into the exams at the test site.
This information will help you understand procedures to follow during and after your exam at the test site.