Raquel Plotka, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Office Phone: (212) 346-6950
- PhD, Fordham University
- MA, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Graduate Studies, Universidad de Palermo, Buenos Aires
- BA, Touro College
Social and emotional processes in early childhood. Cognitive development in childhood. The role of culture, policy, and media in developmental and family processes. Early childhood education. Mother-child interactions.
- ED 702 Understanding Young Children: Development and Developmental Transactions
- ED 703 Family Professional Partnerships: Theories and Practices
- ED 704 Blended Curricular Approaches in Early Childhood
ED 710 Developmental Promotion and Intervention: Prenatal through Toddlerhood
Selected Publications, Presentations & Activities
- Attachment and Separation: Implication for Life-Span Development: Bank Street Infancy Institute. Invited Talk, June 2012.
- Plotka, R. Does length of maternity leave affect attachment security? Poster presented at the International Attachment Conference. Oslo, Norway, August 2011.
- Attachment in the Making: Research and Practical Implications of Attachment During the First Year of Life: Bank Street Infancy Institute. Invited Talk, June 2011.
- Plotka, R. Training to Promote Social and Emotional Development in Low-Income Children: What Preschool Teachers Need. Poster presented at the Society for Research in Child Development Biannual Conference. Montreal, Canada, April 2011.
- Plotka, R. & Busch-Rossnagel, N. A. The Effects of Maternal Behaviors and Styles on the Development of Self-Assertion, Self-Regulation, Compliance, and Non-Compliance in Latino Toddlers. Poster presented at the Head Start National Research Conference. Washington, D. C., June 21-22, 2010
- Plotka, R. Exploring Teachers’ Experiences Promoting Social and Emotional Development in Child Care and Head Start Classrooms in New York City. Paper presented at the Cross University Mentoring Conference at Harvard University. Cambridge, M. A., June 2-4, 2010.
- Plotka, R. (2010). Ainsworth’s Procedure. In S. Goldstein & J. Naglieri (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Child Behavior & Development. New York, NY: Springer.
- Plotka, R. (2010). Adult Attachment Interview. In S. Goldstein & J. Naglieri (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Child Behavior & Development. New York, NY: Springer.
- Plotka, R. (2010). Ambivalent Attachment. In S. Goldstein & J. Naglieri (Eds.)
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior & Development. New York, NY: Springer
- Project SEEDS (Social and Emotional Early Developmental Skills) Teacher Training Series. Designed and implemented training materials for teachers in Child Care and Head Start programs administered by the New York City Administration of Children Services (ACS), Division of Child Care and Head Start, September 2009 – June 2010.
- Building our Relationship, Parenting Training Series. Designed and implemented of new parent training programs focusing on adolescent mothers. Covenant House, Mother and Child Division, March, 2007.