Transfer Student Policy

The School of Education is proud of the excellence of its programs and the undergraduate transfer students who have successfully completed Pace programs.  We value the academic experience that transfer students bring with them from other institutions and every effort is made to accept appropriate transfer credits wherever possible.

The First Steps

 Students who are considering transferring to Pace University as an education major should call to make an appointment to meet with the Coordinator of Student Support Services in Pleasantville.  This meeting may be conducted in-person, or via telephone.  (If you meet via telephone, it is essential that transcripts are either faxed  or emailed in advance of the scheduled appointment. At the meeting, the Coordinator of Student Support Services will evaluate the transcript(s) to determine the number of appropriate transfer credits that can be accepted.  Only courses with a grade of “C” or better will be considered for transfer credit.  In addition, only courses earned with a “B” or better will be considered for transfer credit in the education major.  To help make a determination, transfer students may need to provide catalog course descriptions and/or course syllabi.  The purpose of meeting with the Coordinator of Student Support Services is to evaluate potential transfer credits.  The School of Education and its representatives do not make admissions decisions for the University.  Transfer students who are interested in filing for admission to Pace University must submit a completed application to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.


To be eligible for admission to Pace University as an education major, the transfer student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.85 from the transfer institution(s).  Education majors at Pace move through the program as a “cohort,” with specific education courses offered only in specific semesters.  Once the Transfer Credit Evaluation form has been completed and the transfer student’s total transfer credits have been tallied, the transfer student will be placed in a freshman, sophomore or junior level cohort, defined as below:

  • Freshman: 0-32 credits
  • Sophomore:  33-64 credits
  • Junior: 65-96 credits

A transfer student must be within 6 credits of the next cohort level may petition to be placed in the higher cohort with a written plan demonstrating how the credit deficiencies will be met by the end of the Junior year.  This plan will be reviewed by the Coordinator of Student Support Services and a determination made.
Transfer students with less than a 2.85 cumulative GPA from the transfer institution(s) are encouraged to pursue Core requirements as an “Undecided” major at Pace.  If the transfer student is successful at raising their grade point in the first or subsequent semesters at Pace, the student may apply for permission to declare Education as his/her major.
The School of Education recommends that students transferring to Pace with significantly more than 65 credits complete an undergraduate major in Liberal Arts & Sciences (for those who ultimately want to get certified in Childhood Education) or the subject area (e.g. Math, English, etc.) for those who want certification in Adolescent Education.  Once the undergraduate degree is earned, the student may then apply for admission to the Masters of Science for Teachers (M.S.T.) program.  This route delays certification until the graduate level and eliminates the expense of additional undergraduate semesters while meeting a state requirement for earning a Masters degree.

Formal Admissions Process

All education students, whether they come to Pace as first-year students or later as transfer students from another institution, must go through a formal admissions process to the School of Education.  For most students, this is the second semester of the sophomore year.   However, transfer students who are admitted to Pace as education majors in their junior year are granted automatic “conditional admit” status for the first junior semester.  And at the end of that first semester, the junior-level transfer student will file a formal application to the School of Education.