Adolescent Education, BA
Make an impact that lasts a lifetime.
Candidates who wish to teach adolescents in middle or high school (grades 7-12) will major in Adolescent Education and the subject area they want to teach. Each of our adolescent education programs is nationally recognized, and all of our adolescent programs lead to a bachelor’s degree and the NYS Initial teaching certificate in Adolescent Education (grades 7-12). Candidates may also opt to pursue a combined bachelor’s and Master of Science in Education (B.A./MSEd) through our five-year combined degree program. The Adolescent education program is considered a full time program.
Both the 4-year and 5-year programs in Adolescent Education can be completed on the Pleasantville or the New York City campus.
Candidates in the Adolescent Education program choose a second major from one of the following areas:
- Earth Science (NYC only)
- Spanish (NYC only)
The Adolescent Education program is considered a full-time program, and candidates progress through the program as a cohort, with required education courses offered in specific semesters. This means that the School of Education has a very high on-time graduation rate. It also means that candidates may not reduce their education program to fewer than four years of study. Transfer students seeking to major in Adolescent Education should meet with a School of Education advisor upon admission to the University.
Why Pace School of Education?
- We prepare graduates of our program to be reflective practitioners who promote justice, create caring classrooms and school communities, and enable all students to be successful learners.
- We believe in the value of exposing our undergraduates to the classroom and other settings that model meaningful, relevant, and effective teaching and learning early in their program.
- Candidates are placed in a Center for Professional Development (CPD) in their Junior year where they will practice their teaching skills through completion of their undergraduate program.
- Candidates engage in ongoing instruction in the use of technology skills for personal, classroom, and community use.
- Candidates benefit from the depth and breadth of content knowledge for both personal enrichment, pre-professional development, and social/cultural enlightenment.
- Candidates gain the knowledge and skills needed to promote the safety of all students within the school and community.
What are my job prospects?
- The need for talented teachers has never been greater;
- 91% of our graduates reported getting jobs within the first year of graduation.
Other Programs You Might Consider
- MST, NYC WESTCHESTER
- MST, NYC WESTCHESTER
- CERTIFICATE, NYC WESTCHESTER