The first steps...
Requirements of Student Organization Advisors
- An advisor must be a full time employee of Pace University- Westchester, part-time adjunct faculty may be considered. Exceptions will be made at the discretion of Student Development and Campus Activities.
- The advisor must sign the Pace University- Pleasantville Student Organization/Advisor agreement and attend one meeting per semester held for advisors by Student Development and Campus Activities.
- Advisors should be fully acquainted with the student organization advisor handbook along with following and understanding all policies and procedures used by Student Development and Campus Activities.
- A student organization advisor cannot advisor more than two student organizations at any one time.
Responsibilities of Student Organization Advisors
In assuming the role of student organization advisor, it is inherent that the advisor has accepted and agreed to fulfill these responsibilities in the manner listed below:
- Take an active role in advising the student organization, to be defined by the advisor and student organization.
Have knowledge of the student organization including but not limited to the following:
- Know and understand the general purpose of the organization and be familiar with all provisions outlined in the organization’s constitution and by-laws.
- Understand the goals of the organization, both outlined in the Constitution and those made by the e-board for the academic year.
- Be familiar with the officers of the organizations.
- Know the number of current members of the organization.
- Be informed of the organization’s process for gaining new members.
- Aid in the necessary requirements to remain a recognized student organization, if applicable.
- Meet with the organization’s e-board on a regular basis (at least once each month is recommended as the minimum requirement).
- Remain informed of all activities sponsored by and conducted by the student organization.
- Advisors are encouraged to attend the various functions of their student organization held after normal business hours.
- Establish with the student organization e-board the manner and frequency in which the advisor will participate in the organization’s activities; i.e., programs, social events and meetings.
- Offer guidance to the organization on goal setting, organization management, program planning, problem solving, and group evaluation.
- To be knowledgeable of and adhere to University policies and procedures which pertain to student organizations, and to inform the student organization president of his/her responsibility to do the same.
- Be knowledgeable of policies and procedures listed in the Guiding Principles (as listed in the Student Handbook).
- Refer questions concerning the Guiding Principles and Student Handbook to the appropriate department and where the case is not clearly discernible, to the Assistant Director of Student Development and Campus Activities.
- Report immediately to the Assistant Director of Student Development and Campus Activities any activities that may or will violate University policies along with any risk management areas of concern.
For more information or if you have questions please contact NIki Fjeldal, Assistant Director of Student Development and Campus Activites at firstname.lastname@example.org.