What to expect after submitting a report
Feedback loop to referrer
Although some of the recommendations and actions taken by the CARE Team may not be shared with others, we will communicate with the CARE report referral in some of the following ways:
- We will acknowledge receipt of the CARE report.
- We may involve the individual who submitted the CARE report where appropriate .
- We encourage continued contact between the referral source and the CARE Team to share updates with the team.
- We may not be able to share updates back to the referral source because some information gathered by the team may be treated as confidential due to privacy policies.
- Where appropriate, we may provide strategies to the individual submitting the report as to how to manage the ongoing situation without escalating a reactive behavior from the student.
Preliminary Response Meeting
Once a report is received, the CARE Chair may consult with members who have expertise in the area of concern for an initial evaluation. These team members will investigate the submitted report and, if appropriate, convene the CARE Team for an emergency meeting. Otherwise, these findings will be discussed at the regularly schedueld CARE Team meetings.
If the initial report appears to require an immediate response, our Safety and Security staff will respond accordingly.
Other situations not requiring an immediate response may continue to develop over time, some of which may resolve on their own and some may escalate (usually driven by certain behaviors or because the individual of concern may be facing a very stressful situation or difficult loss)
CARE Team Meetings
Meetings are designed to review previous cases, assess the status of interventions and follow-ups, determine appropriate resources to support students, and provide regular opportunities for training. We make careful evaluations about recommending potential next steps to campus administrators especially because situations are not always clear whether an actual risk of harm exists or what the most prudent action to take may be.