Interested in Becoming a Tutor?
The Tutoring Center is always looking for outstanding Pace students to join its staff of tutors! Tutors enjoy a number of benefits:
- A flexible work schedule
- One of the best hourly pay rates for a Pace on-campus job (the starting pay rate is $9-10/hr)
- The opportunity to reinforce your knowledge of subject matter (great for students preparing for certification or graduate school admissions exams!)
- The opportunity to strengthen the problem solving and communication skills that employers look for when making hiring decisions
- The opportunity to demonstrate a proven record of job responsibility to potential employers
- The opportunity to make a valuable contribution to the Pace community
- The opportunity to meet other outstanding Pace students and make new friends
Here’s what our tutors say:
- “Tutoring makes me handle myself professionally and allows me to work as part of a team.”
- “It’s a great feeling that students appreciate my help. I feel so good when they say ‘thank you’ to me.”
- "My patience has increased, along with my ability to listen."
- “Tutoring is intellectually challenging.”
- "I like seeing positive results and knowing that I am really helping.”
- "As the result of students asking detailed questions, I was able to learn more myself."
- “My communication skills improved a lot by working as a tutor. Also, I refreshed my knowledge of math concepts.”
- “I get a great review of math, which helps in my own studies.”
- “I liked the feeling of accomplishment I got when a student began to understand and could do the work on his/her own.”
- “I have gained patience and improved my communication skills.”
- The best thing about tutoring is hearing someone say, ‘Wow! I finally understand!’”
- Students must have earned and maintain an overall minimum QPA of 3.3 and a minimum QPA of 3.5 in the subject area for which they want to tutor.
- Students may be asked to submit at least one faculty recommendation
- Students who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to interview with the Math or Accounting Lab coordinator, or when necessary, a faculty member in the appropriate department.
- Tutoring students either one-on-one, and/or in small, informal groups
- Participating in on-going training
- Maintaining student records
- Adhere to the Peer Tutor Handbook
How to apply:
Two-step Application Process
Complete the HR Applicaiton: careers.pace.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=54800
Download the tutor application and upload it with your HR application.