Room Reservation Process Details (MyHousing and the Application Process)
Using MyHousing (applying and selecting a room)
IMPORTANT: The housing application usually requires a $400 prepayment deposit of the fall housing charge, we understand how difficult things are for many students and their families right now. For this reason we are deferring the deposit for those students who apply between now and June 1st. Deposits will be collected later from June 1st until June 15th.
MyHousing is an online tool, available through you Pace Portal, that you will need for completing application, and selecting your room (if you are taking place in the online housing selection process starting on April 20th).
Where is MyHousing located?
- You can access MyHousing by logging in to your Pace Portal:
- Click on the student tab
- Choose the third link down on the left, the link for MyHousing
- Log into MyHousing using your Pace Portal log in. If you have trouble with the link or logging in, please contact the IT Helpdesk
I have been able to log into MyHousing, what should I do first?
The first item to complete is the online deposit and application. All returning students wishing to return to campus for the Fall 2020 semester must complete an online application.
To complete the online deposit and application. Complete these steps.
- Log in to MyHousing (requires second log on)
- Click the "Applications and Forms" tab at the top of the page
- Click on the 2020 NYC Housing application, and complete the form
- If you submit your application too early (with incorrect or incomplete information) or have an issue with the application, you may revisit and update your form through May 1
I have completed my application and would like to take part in online room selection, what is the next step that I need to complete to make sure that I am guaranteed housing for next year?
Once you have submitted housing application, you are guaranteed housing for the fall. If you wish, you may participate in the online room selection process, but that is not required. Students who do not participate in the online process will be placed in a room by the housing staff by the end of July (see NYC Guaranteed Housing on main room selection page). Students who hope to choose a single room, or those taking part in room selection with a group of friends (hoping to fill a double, triple, quad or suite) will need to participate in the online room selection process, which will take place starting on April 20th. This process will only be for people who can completely fill a room (individuals selecting a room this way can choose a single if one is available; pairs of students may select from available doubles; groups of three may select from available triples; groups of four may select from available quads). To participate in online room selection as part of a group of 2, 3 or 4 students, please be sure that you are LINKED to your proposed roommates (see below). As noted, students who do not participate in the online selection process are still guaranteed housing, and will be placed in a room by housing staff by the end of June.
How do I LINK to others to be part of a pair or a group of 3 or 4 in order to participate in online room selection?
LINKING TO ONE OR MORE ROOMMATES
If you want to participate in room selection with one or more roommates, you can do so by following these steps. Please remember that students who are "linked" to one or more students only need ONE of their group to actually log in and choose a room at the time of room selection. Also, once you are linked to one or more students, you (and your group) will only be permitted to select rooms that can be filled by your group (e.g. pairs can pick doubles, trios can pick quads, etc.)
Also, keep in mind that students can severe a link unilaterally and without notice. In such a situation, a student may believe they are linked to someone who will select a space for them, but they may get left out. It is the responsibility of each group member to remain aware of their own selection status and ensure that they secure housing. If you leave this process up to one group member, be sure to follow up to verify that you were in fact assigned to a space in housing during the online process (otherwise you will be placed in a room by housing staff by the end of June).
To LINK to others, send a roommate request:
- In MyHousing, highlight Room Selection and click on Roommate Selection.
- Fill in Last Name, First Name, or email address. If you have all of the information, you can fill it in but the Roommate search will take place as long as your fill in at least one field.
- Click on Request Student as Roommate.
- Repeat this process as many times as necessary to add one, two or three roommates to fill a double, triple, or quad.
If someone has sent you a roommate request, all you have to do is confirm it by clicking on the confirm button. You will be able to see on your Home/Overview or Roommate Selection pages if someone has requested you as a roommate. To know if your roommate request has been confirmed or if you have confirmed a roommate request, your Home/Overview or Roommate Selection page will show the name of the other person and then you will see Matched Roommate Group. If you see Does Not Match in red lettering, your request has not been confirmed.
You may only link to students who have deposited and applied for NYC housing through MyHousing. If a student is not available for you to link to, then they have not yet been placed in the lottery.
Please note: if you are trying to link to a specific person, but they are not appearing as an available student, this means that they have not completed a housing application, and are therefore ineligible to link with you.
Finally, if you do not have one or more specific students in mind, you may used the Advanced Search to look for a roommate based on various criteria. If you find someone with whom you would like to live, you can request them in the same way noted above.
Room Selection Number (RSN)
The RSN is the number that determines your priority in the room selection process. The RSD will determine the date and time of your online room selection appointment. If you do not participate in the online room selection process, the RSN will determine where you fall in the order in which we accommodate building and floor preferences when we place you in a room after the online selection process. The RSN number is comprised of: (your class year + your GPA – demerits). Your class year is determined by the number of credits you have earned as of the time that you are applying for housing (your current credit load does not count), and is calculated as follows:
- 0-31 credits= 1 (first year student)
- 32-63 credits= 2 (sophomore)
- 64-95 credits=3 (junior)
- 96+=4 (senior)
- 128+ or Graduate student=5
The GPA used is your current Pace University cumulative GPA. Demerits are deductions that you may have received based on judicial action. Your RSN will be communicated to you in the email that will be sent on April 1, 2020. Take time to review that email carefully. If you wish to contest your RSN (e.g. you are a transfer student and you do not believe that your full load of credits is being properly recognized; you have an incomplete that will be changed to a letter grade before the start of room selection) you must speak with Vinn Randazzo (email@example.com) by Apri; 7th to appeal for a recalculation of your RSN.
What's next? Process applies for Group & General Housing Selection
As noted, once your application and deposit have been received, you will be entered into the online room selection process. PLEASE NOTE: while all students will be entered into the online room selection, this part of the process is optional and only for students or groups of students that can fill available rooms (individuals will only be able to select from available single rooms; pairs will only be able to select from available doubles; trios will only be available to select triples; groups of four will only be able to select from available quads). Students who have completed the deposit and application but who do not participate in the online room selection process will be placed manually by housing staff by the end of July.
If you look at your Home/Overview page, there is a section at the bottom entitled "My Future Room Selection Process". Once your application and deposit have been received, you will be able to see that you have been entered into the Fall 2020 NYC General Housing Selection (this is referred to in MyHousing as your "lottery"). This section will list the start time and end time of the "lottery". Once you have been assigned a selection appointment time, that will be displayed there as well.
You will be able to see what rooms are available after the start of the "lottery". You will not be able to select a room until your personal lottery selection time. Until then, you will only be able to observe which rooms remain available.
If you and your matched roommate(s) have different selection times, your entire group can be placed at the time of the earliest person in your group. The person with the earliest time will need to log in before their selection time and then when they choose a room, they will be able to place the roommate(s) in their as well.
At the time of your room selection appointment, the person selecting a room must:
- Be logged in to MyHousing before your selection time.
- Highlight Room Selection (under "navigation") and click on Select Room/ Suite.
- Click on "FIND AVAILABLE ROOMS"
- You will then be able to see a list of the available rooms that you and your roommate(s) will be able to select.
- Click on "Select Room" next to the room you wish to explore (this will NOT immediately place you in the room).
- You will see a list of the bed in that room, as well as the names of any other student(s) already signed in to that room.
- If you wish to place yourself (and your roommates) in this room, choose one person's name per available bed, click " I AGREE – SUBMIT MY ROOM SELECTION ", and you have your room assignment for next year.
- If you do not wish to place you (and your roommates) in this room, back out and try again with another room
- The process is not over until you click "I AGREE – SUBMIT MY ROOM SELECTION" and see the message "Congratulations – your room selection process is complete!"
As noted above, students may request to be linked to one or more roommates through MyHousing. Roommates you request must confirm that they want to be paired with or attached to you before a pair or group can be finalized. Once a pair or larger group is formed, only one person from that group will need to participate in the online room selection. Also, students may only link to other students who are entered into the same room selection process (students who have deposited and applied for housing on the same campus).
Students are advised to stay in active communication with the members of their linked roommate group. Students may dissolve their connection to other students at any time. If a student is "dropped" from a group without their knowledge, and they were expecting their friend to choose a room for them, they may be left out of the online room selection process, and will therefore be placed by the housing staff (by the end of June). Please note that roommate "LINKS" expire after the online process, so if you are linked to one or more other students but you are not placed in a room during the online process, we cannot guarantee that you will be placed with your linked roommates during the manual placement process.
Deposit Refund Policy for Returning Students
The $400 housing deposit/prepayment for returning students is refundable according to the following time table:
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) by June 1: 100% refund of deposit
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) by July 1: 75% refund of deposit
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) by August 1: 50% refund of deposit
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) by September 1: 25% refund of deposit
- Returning student submits an agreement release form (to the housing office) after September 1: 0% refund of deposit
Please note that the housing office will begin processing cancellations on June 1; students who cancel will not receive refunds of their deposits until after that date