Due to the ongoing efforts to reduce transmission of COVID-19 and rapidly evolving policy updates, the Health and Wellness Committee has made the decision to temporarily suspend all face to face wellness programs, effective Wednesday 3/11/20, until further notice. We will make every effort to offer videoconferences or webinars when possible. Thank you for your understanding as we are putting the health and safety of all our communities first.
Do you have questions about the coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- Please read the COVID -19 FAQ (PDF), updated by Cigna March 16.
- Visit Pace University’s latest updates and policies on Coronavirus.
It’s important to exercise and try to keep your mind and body as healthy as possible. Here are some resources for remote use, including LIVE classes:
- Healthy Strategies for Working from Home: Friday, April 3 from 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm. If you have not already registered, please register to enter the Healthy Strategies webinar prior to the meeting. Keeping a balanced healthy daily schedule and your nutrition in check can be tough when your home is your office. You feel comfortable and there’s plenty of food available. And unlike in the office, you’re free to graze all day and the fridge is all yours. But this habit can wreak havoc on your waistline, sabotage weight loss and halt your productivity. In addition, the work day runs longer without the regimen of getting up and ready to commute to work while collaborating and connecting with fellow colleagues throughout the day. This can, however, present the perfect time to adopt new healthy habits with the extra time each day to fit in workouts and home cooking. Webinar presenter will be Lisa Farley, Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach.
- Avoid Burnout: Friday, April 17th from 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm. Register for the Avoid Burnout webinar. Just because burnout can happen at work or because of work, doesn’t mean how you use your time outside of work can’t help prevent it. When practicing good time management, we’ve seen that at the core, burnout prevention is about living out what is true about your body, your personality and your reality. Burnout is a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress. This wellness workshop will explore the tools and techniques to implement on a regular basis to avoid burnout and manage stress on a consistent basis. There’s no guarantee that if you follow the simple strategies outlined in this workshop that you will never experience burnout, however, you’ll significantly reduce the likelihood of it, and that you’ll get back to work more quickly after taking a break if you reach a burnout state. Webinar presenter will be Lisa Farley, Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach.
- Maintaining a Work/Life Balance in a Remote Working Environment: Wednesday, April 22 from 11:30 am - 12:00 pm. Please register for this webinar. When your home suddenly becomes your work space, it can be tough to separate the two. Though working from home is a privilege during these incredibly difficult times, it can still be extremely anxiety-ridden, especially when everyone in the household is working and studying from home. It’s sometimes hard to set boundaries and know when to turn off and stop working, as well as time with family members. While there’s not a one-size-fits-all approach to working from home — as everyone’s jobs and lives are different — this wellness workshop reviews the tips to make balancing personal life and professional life a little bit easier, for those of us lucky enough to be working from home. Webinar presenter will be Lisa Farley, Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach.
- Nutrition for Busy Professionals: Friday April 24th from 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm. Register for the Nutrition for Busy Professionals webinar. No matter how much you want to make healthy choices, it can often feel like there simply isn't time. But it IS possible to be busy and maintain healthy habits. This workshop will cover tips to squeeze healthier choices into a jam-packed schedule, including simple changes and strategies, quick and healthy snacks, on-the-go meal ideas, and the best choices when eating out. Today's society is filled with people who are overfed and undernourished. As a result, the market is flooded with low-quality, ineffective vitamin and mineral supplements, and diet fads that do not support overall health. By taking charge of your well-being, not only will you feel healthier, have more energy, sleep better, and reach your personal weight goals, you will also slow down your natural aging process, improve your skin health and appearance, and maintain cognitive and mental focus! Webinar presenter will be Lisa Farley, Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach.
- Tai Chi/Qigong: Thursdays, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm until May 28. Join the Tai Chi/Qigong Zoom Meeting Meeting ID: 647 272 566. Please contact Inita Mix or firstname.lastname@example.org for the password. Originating in ancient China, Tai Chi and Qigong are some of the most effective exercises for health, combining mind and body. Join us for a moment of tranquility in your day. Gently improve muscle strength, coordination, flexibility, balance, stiffness and overall wellness through coordinated body-postures and movement, breathing and meditation. Classes are provided by Master Lynn X. Lin of Sitan Tai Chi. Master Lynn X. Lin is co-founder and Vice President of Tai Chi Qigong Association of America and Vice President of Sitan Tai Chi & Martial Arts.
We’ve partnered with Athletics to bring you LIVE remote classes, via zoom! For the zoom links, please contact JR Pouncey at email@example.com.
- Cardio Kickboxing with Joann: begins Thursday, March 26 at 5:00 pm. Get ready to punch and kick. This class bring lots of sweat, fun and hard work to this workout. These classes will be on Thursdays, from 5:00 pm – 5:45 pm. JoAnn Hamilton is a certified Aerobics and Zumba instructor. She has taught at Pace for over 10 years. For the link to zoom, please contact JR Pouncey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Toning with Joann: begins Wednesday, March 25 at 5:00 pm. The toning class combines weights, cardio floor work, balance and combination of barre exercises that will tone your body. These classes will be on Wednesdays, from 5:00 pm – 5:45 pm. JoAnn Hamilton is a certified Aerobics and Zumba instructor. She has taught at Pace for over 10 years. For the link to zoom, please contact JR Pouncey at email@example.com.
- PowerHouse with Troy: begins Thursday, March 26 at 3:00 pm. Circuit/interval style training class involving bodyweight stretch, mobility and cardiovascular movements. These classes will be on Mondays and Thursdays with Troy, from 3:00 pm – 3:30 pm. Troy Thompson is the Director of Strength and Conditioning at Pace University where he oversees the program for all 14 varsity sports. Troy is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist and a Registered Strength and Conditioning Coach through the National Strength and Conditioning Association. For the link to zoom, please contact JR Pouncey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PowerHouse with Phil: begins Friday, March 27 at 1:00 pm. Circuit/interval style training class involving bodyweight stretch, mobility and cardiovascular movements. These classes will be on Tuesdays and Fridays with Phil, from 1:00 pm – 1:30 pm. Phil Ryder is a strength and conditioning coach certified by the National Strength and conditioning association and an Athletic trainer certified by the National Athletic Training Association. He has worked at Pace for 10 years in those roles with the athletic department. He is also an adjunct professor for the college of Health Professions teaching sections of Wellness and Physical Fitness. For the link to zoom, please contact JR Pouncey at email@example.com.
- Yoga with Lauri: begins Friday, March 27 at 11:30 am. Yoga is an ancient practice based on philosophy, mindfulness and asana work. Asanas or “poses” can also be translated as “comfortable seat” meaning that as we practice different poses they become more comfortable for our body and give us more ways to move with ease. Class will have modifications and emphasize an all-level practice and will include breath work and final relaxation. Come join! These classes will be on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11:30 am – 12:15 pm. Adjunct Associate Professor Laurice (Lauri) Nemetz, MA, BC-DMT, E-RYT500, LCAT, C-IAYT is well known yoga teacher and has taught at Pace University Pleasantville for over 17 years. She is a past-President of the Yoga Teachers Association (YTA), and is a certified yoga therapist and is registered at the highest level with Yoga Alliance (YA) in addition to being an YA education provider. She has taught yoga and anatomy workshops internationally and presents regularly at conferences and other universities including Harvard Medical School and Oxford University. For the link to zoom, please contact JR Pouncey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yoga with Ingrid: Wednesdays, from 1:00 pm – 1:45 pm. Ingrid’s approach to yoga in this setting, is breath and movement-based and informed with her deep experience in the practice with a focus on inner listening and cultivating a deeper connection to oneself through yoga asana and pranayama, (postures and breath). Health and wellness isn’t just about understanding your body better, but developing the habits and practices that will bring you the transformation you seek. Whether you want to get stronger and more flexible, learn optimal movement, or start or improve your yoga practice, Ingrid welcomes all levels and experience. Ingrid has been teaching yoga at Pace since 2002 and has been a yoga practitioner for 25 years. She is also Nutrition Counselor and Personal Trainer at Equinox. As a lover of deep learning with a myriad of certifications in her field, along with prior corporate experience and a Masters in Philosophy, she brings a unique perspective to the practice. Having learned from and practiced with renowned yogis worldwide, she imparts the teachings of the practice, including mindfulness, to enhance your health and wellbeing. For the link to zoom, please contact JR Pouncey at email@example.com.
- Zumba with Joann: begins Monday, March 30 at 5:00 pm. Joann’s Zumba class combines fun, sweat and dancing. These classes will be on Mondays from 5:00 pm – 5:45 pm. JoAnn Hamilton is a certified Aerobics and Zumba instructor. She has taught at Pace for over 10 years. For the link to zoom, please contact JR Pouncey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online links to practice on your own time:
- Yoga: Ingrid, our yoga instructor in NY recommended this online website for yoga.
- Tai Chi: Olivia, our tai chi instructor recommended this Youtube video to practice tai chi.
- View TIAA’s April live webinar schedule (PDF). Plan for tomorrow – today!
Cigna Resources for our Cigna Plan Participants:
Please note, as of last week, the federal government required all health plans to cover COVID-19 testing. This was part of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act signed last week and applies to all size employers.
- Cigna is waiving customer cost-sharing for testing. Cigna is covering the COVID-19 testing at 100%.
- Cigna is waiving customer cost-sharing for office visits related to COVID-19 testing through May 31, 2020.
- Cigna is waiving customer cost-sharing for telehealth screenings for COVID-19 through May 31, 2020. This Telehealth/Virtual Care coverage includes someone calling their primary care doctor (previously this was not covered) and through our Virtual Care vendors MDLive and AmWell (attached is a Virtual Care flyer).
- Dr. Steven Miller, Cigna's Chief Clinical Officer, presents a video specific to clients: Cigna/Dr. Steve Miller Addresses COVID-19 for Employees.
Have questions, comments, or suggestions for the Health and Wellness Committee? Please write to email@example.com.
Pace University values the physical and emotional health and well-being of our faculty and staff and strives to promote a healthy work environment. We know that being healthy and taking care of yourself in the best way possible makes your work life more productive and satisfying.
Our wellness programs are designed to encourage all faculty, staff and students to live healthier lifestyles and create a culture of health throughout the campus.
Many of our wellness programs either have no cost or actually reward you in cash for participating!
- The Wellness Walking Club - Periodically, Human Resources will lead 30-45 minute walks on the Pleasantville, New York and Valhalla campuses. Please join us when you can. Wear your sneakers and bring your water, and your colleagues. Dates will be announced via email if there is a walk that week.
- NYC: No walks scheduled at this time.
- PLV: No outdoor walks scheduled at this time.
- Valhalla: No walks scheduled at this time.
- Flu Shots - Several convenient options available to Cigna participants
- Goldstein Health & Fitness Center and NY Gym Offerings - FREE: Tai Chi and Yoga classes, PLV Walking Program (indoors), NYC Boot Camp and more!
- Health & Wellness Topics and Tools
- Healthy Pregnancies, Healthy Babies! - Get up to $150 for joining; 24/7 support and education.
- Preventive Care Incentive Program - Get up to $240 for annual physical and other wellness exams.
- Smoking Cessation - Please join the Great American Smokeout in November 2019.
- Support Services at Pace
- Weight Watchers at Work Program
So, Pace Yourself to Wellness!