main navigation
my pace
International Students & Scholars

Planning to work?

Center for Global Business Programs (CGBP) Student Employment

Pace University’s sponsored exchange students on J-1 visas have the opportunity to engage in paid or unpaid internship which is directly related to their major field of study. Academic Training (AT) must be authorized via SEVIS system by the school sponsoring the J-1 visa.

J-1 Academic Training is employment that is critical or integral to a J-1 exchange student's academic program at Pace University. Academic training must be a direct application of the student's coursework and/or research to a professional position in the student's field of study. The student's academic advisor or director of the program must evaluate an academic training request as effectively connected to the student's field of study

Academic training may be pursued while studying (pre-completion) or immediately after having completed the program of study at Pace (post-completion). Pace University policy states that students on exchange programs will be eligible for Academic Training after they have completed at least one semester of study. You must apply for post-completion academic training within 30 days of completing the program at the latest or before your program end date. You may work full-time during post-completion academic training.

CGBP students are not eligible for on-campus employment.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is post-completion Academic Training (AT)?

It is employment directly related to your field of study, following the completion of your program.

Back to top

Who is eligible for Academic Training?

You are eligible to apply for a post-completion AT authorization if you:

1) have been a full-time student for the duration of the program;

2) are currently in lawful J-1 status;

3) have completed all course requirements for your program.

Back to top

What is the maximum amount of time that can be authorized for Academic Training?

The maximum amount of time that can be granted is the length of your academic program at Pace University.

Back to top

When should I apply for Academic Training?

J-1 students may apply for AT 30 days before the program completion date (the earliest), or within the 30-day grace period following the program completion date (the latest).

Back to top

What type of work can I do while authorized for Academic Training?

The work must be directly related to your major field of study. For students who are not on approved AT the employment may include:

  • Paid employment (part-time or full-time)
  • Unpaid employment (students may work as unpaid interns for at least 20 hrs. per week)
  • Employment through Staffing Agency/Consulting Company (at least 20 hrs. per week)
  • You may work for more than one employer concurrently (paperwork is required for both)
  • Remote employment is not allowed

Back to top

Can I work as an Intern under Academic Training? Does an internship qualify for employment?

Yes. Employment by definition refers to any job (paid or unpaid) or work opportunity, internship to include. As long as the work opportunity is directly related to your field of study.

Back to top

Can I work anywhere in the U.S.?

Yes, as long as it is related to your field of study, approved by the Program Director and is recorded in SEVIS.

Back to top

Can I change employers while on approved Academic Training?

Yes, as long as AT is within the effective dates. You will need to do the same paperwork and obtain a new DS-2019.

Back to top

Can Academic Training be extended?

No. Maximum duration of participation equals the duration of the program.

Back to top

Can I be approved first and then look for a job?

No, Academic Training is employer-specific. You are required to have an offer of employment before ISS can process an employment/internship authorization for you.

Back to top

Is there any special paperwork for filing for AT?

Back to top

How do I submit the required documents to ISS?

Log in ISS Connect and click “Begin” in the box for Academic Training for J-1 Students.

Back to top

Do I need to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) in order to participate in Academic Training?

If the position under AT is paid, you need to obtain a SSN.

For more details, read a step-by-step procedure for obtaining a SSN.

Back to top

Can I travel on my grace period between completion of the program and AT filing?

If you do not apply for AT, but travel outside of the U.S. after your official completion date (during a 30-day grace-period), you will have negated your eligibility to apply, as you won’t be able to return in J-1 status.

Back to top

Can I travel while on approved Academic Training?

You can travel as long as you have a Form DS-2019 issued for AT and endorsed for travel.

Back to top

Do I need to renew my J-1 visa if I left the U.S. during the AT period and want to come back to resume the employment?

Yes, you will need to renew your J-1 visa at the U.S. Consulate in your home country. The visa renewal process is similar to obtaining a visa for the first time. You will pay the same visa application fee and schedule a visa appointment. Consider the visa appointment wait time. You should always review the current wait time for a visa interview, using the U.S. Department of State chart.

Be sure to have with you a job letter from your current employer, or a job offer, as proof of employment when you are applying for a visa renewal. 

Back to top

Do I need to inform Pace University if I want to terminate my employment early and come back home?

You do not need to inform the University; however, as a professional, you need to provide a letter to your employer giving at least two weeks’ notice.  Remember, your behavior during your internship might have a reflection on Pace and how future Pace students are welcomed or perceived by the company.

Back to top

What happens after the end date of my Academic Training?

You will have a 30-day grace period to depart the U.S.

Back to top

Do I need to purchase health insurance during AT?

Yes. Health insurance coverage is part of J-1 status maintenance. The health insurance coverage purchased though Pace University will be over, as soon as your program ends; however, you are required by U.S. Department of State regulations to carry a valid health insurance policy during your stay in the U.S. You may research and purchase your own health insurance coverage provided it carries the same coverage minimums prescribed by the Department of State. We recommend ISOA international student insurance. The insurance policy is specifically created for exchange visitors, designed to meet the Department of State requirements.

Back to top

Do I need to report to the U.S. government my earnings and when?

Yes. Compensation earned during your stay in the U.S. under J-1 visa has to be reported to the U.S. government/Internal revenue Services (IRS) by the beginning of the next fiscal year.

More Information on IRS filing requirements and helpful tools for reporting your earnings is available on our Tax Obligations webpage.

Back to top

Employment Offer Letter Requirements

The first step to applying for Academic Training is obtaining an offer letter from a company or organization for a position directly related to your field of study. This letter must be on official company letterhead, must be signed by the individual at the company who is issuing the letter, and must include the following information:

  • Position title
  • Supervisor's name, title, direct email address, office address, and direct phone number
  • Job location (company/organization name, address, and phone number)
  • Number of hours per week
  • Paid or unpaid
  • Job start date
  • Job end date
  • Job objectives - must be specific (i.e., your roles, responsibilities, activities) - must be directly related to your program of study

Back to top