Learning Center Mission
The Learning Assistance Center uses an array of programs and a holistic approach to assist students with academic skills and content knowledge. We are dedicated to developing independent learners through purposeful interactions with trained, well-qualified peer and professional staff.
Content Support Services
Content support services aid students in developing knowledge and in striving for academic success.
Students will be able to:
- Overcome misconceptions about the learning process and implement new study skill strategies
- Develop communication skills within one-on-one and small group settings
- Understand the value of persistence through positive failure
- Content Tutoring (appointment and drop in)
During tutoring sessions, tutors and tutees strengthen fluency in course material by identifying key tasks, reviewing and developing prior knowledge, and addressing any issues hindering success.
- Exam Review Sessions (not currently available)
Upon professor request, the Learning Assistance Center provides small group sessions to prepare students for exams. Guided by a session leader, students work together to review key concepts and complete sample assessment questions.
- Content Preparation/Support Workshops
The Learning Assistance Center identifies hurdles in gateway courses, standardized exams, and certifications for the purpose of developing workshops for student advancement.
Academic Skills Services
Academic Skills programs instill in students a set of processes and habits of mind that build their scholastic abilities and identity. Using a collaborative approach, academic skills programs help students achieve current academic goals, practice self-advocacy, and establish lifelong learning.
Students will be able to:
- Establish attainable academic goals
- Reflect on their personal academic development and make appropriate adjustments to study strategies
- Select and apply academic learning strategies appropriate for diverse content
- Small Group Peer Mentoring
In peer led groups, students discuss and develop successful strategies for academic success. Through refinement and training, mentors transmit effective learned behaviors.
- Individual Academic Development
Academic Coaches and Peer Academic Mentors provide one-on-one attention for students to establish expectations, set learning goals, and assist in developing strategies to master all content knowledge. The Academic Coach encourages students to identify individual challenges and develop and implement plans for success. The Peer Academic Mentors are successful students whose experience provides valuable guidance from a peer perspective.
- Academic Workshops
Workshops offer direct techniques for classroom success. Workshops are designed to reinforce the development of cognitive skills for the college student.