main navigation
my pace
Transfer Student Experience

Transfer Advising

What is Academic Advising?

Academic Advising is meant to provide guidance, assistance, advice and a clear understanding on your academic courses, degree requirements, major, class registration, etc. You’re not in this process alone – your Academic Advisor is here to help! Besides helping you make appropriate course selections when you register for the spring and fall semesters, your advisor is there to:

  • Help you identify campus resources that can help you deal with academic or personal difficulties
  • Discuss how to address academic difficulties if your professors have expressed concern for your progress in the academic alert process, or if you have been placed on probation
  • Help you develop problem-solving skills, exercise independent judgment, and assume responsibility for your own academic success

It will also be your advisor’s objective to make sure that you feel more comfortable with:

  • Appreciating the value of liberal learning
  • Incorporating self-reflection into your higher education
  • Registering for classes that best meet your curricular and intellectual needs
  • Planning not just for semester classes, but four year planning

Who is my Advisor?

Your Academic Advisor is based on your School. Take the opportunity to form a relationship with your advisor. Your Advisor is also instrumental in helping you understand your Transfer Credit Evaluation and how to apply your earned credits toward your curriculum.

To find out who your Advisor is:

  • Log into your Pace Portal and go to the Student Records Link, Click View Student Information, Select the Current Semester, Click Submit. This will open up the information screen which will contain your Primary Advisor Information.
  • Consult Degree Works in Portal
  • Use your Success Network in OnTrack
  • If you are still unsure who your advisor is, email

Select your school to be directed to your Advisor's Contact Information:

How do I schedule an appointment with my Advisor?

To make an appointment with an Advisor, email, call, or drop by during their office hours to schedule an individual appointment. In your email, it is helpful to include your availability, your UID, and your Major/Minor, along with any other information you might feel is helpful.

Many Advisors use OnTrack to schedule advisement appointments. View instructions on navigating OnTrack (PDF) and accessing your "My Success Network".

Registration for the fall takes place in the middle of November, and for the spring, the middle of April. Therefore, we recommend reaching out to your Advisor a few weeks in advance to secure an appointment on their calendar.

What if I am Undecided?

The path to choosing a major can be different for everyone; for some, the answers will become clear within a short period of time, while for others, it will take longer to investigate and take the needed steps to finalize this decision. In any case, Advisors in the Advising Center for Exploring Majors are available to help students throughout this personal journey.

The mission of the Advising Center for Exploring Majors is to help undecided students explore their interests, skills and goals so that they can make an informed choice of major at Pace University. Committed to holistic advising, the Center serves as the primary academic advising office for students who are undeclared or changing majors, assisting with advising issues that will help them make a successful transition to the colleges and schools of the University. Through individual advisement sessions and self-assessments aimed at fostering greater self-understanding of personal, academic, and professional goals, the Center helps these students move purposively toward graduation.

It is highly recommended that you have a major in mind by the time you have earned 64 credits.

How do I change my major or declare a major?

Speak with your Advisor about changing your major or if you want to declare and are currently undecided. You will then need to fill out a Change of Major form (PDF) from the Office of Student Assistance (OSA).

Your Advisor will then need to sign off on the form, in addition to a representative from the Dept. of the major you would like to declare. Turn this form into OSA, and check your Portal to make sure the change is reflected.

How do I register for classes for my next semester?

Before registering, you need to make sure you are prepared:

  • Review Core and Major Requirements (refer to the worksheets and handouts on your school website or ask your Advisor for a copy)
  • Draft a preliminary schedule on a blank schedule grid (DOCX) using the Schedule Explorer to locate each course name, CRN, day and time
  • Meet with your advisor!
  • Take care of any outstanding Holds on your student account (see below)
  • Know your Reigstration date; your date and time will be posted on your Portal

Possible Holds that will prevent you from registering on time:

*Depending on your School, you may have a school based hold on your account that will not let you register until you have met with an Academic Advisor. If this is the case, only your Academic Advisor can release the hold once you have met for an advisement appointment.

Type Cause
*School Based - Academic Haven't met with an advisor
Library Owe library material and/or overdue fees
OSA Tuition has not been paid in full
Final Transcript Final Transcript/Grades from prior institution has not been sent
MMR Immunization Immunization records have not been set
Housing Discipline Unresolved housing discipline situation

Registration dates for Fall, Spring and Summer differ, so make sure to know these dates in advance of registration.

We also have a Registration Guide (PDF) for further directions on how to register.

What is Academic Probation?

A student is placed on academic probation each semester that his or her overall GPA drops below 2.0. Students are taken off probation when they raise their CGPA above 2.0. Please consult with your Advisor if you are on Academic Probation, as each school has its own probation policies.

Keep the following in mind to prevent yourself from ending up on probation:

  • Poor study habits: When you have poor grades in all or in a number of courses, it is not always just your ability to do the work, but possibly your motivation, self-discipline and time management.
  • Ability: When you have performed poorly in courses that require certain skills, go to the Learning Center or the office hours of your professor. Motivation or study habits might not be the issue as much as aptitude.
  • Adjustment: Doing poorly due to trouble adjusting to a new environment. This may or may not persist - so talk to an advisor or make an appointment with the Counseling Center.
  • Employment: We understand that students may not only go to college, but work too. However, working too many hours is counterproductive. You lose far more than you gain, both economically and educationally. If it’s not possible for you to reduce the number of hours/weeks you work, explore the possibility of reducing the number of courses/credits you take, but keeping in mind financial aid will be affected if you switch to part-time (below 12 credits).
  • Choice of major: Sometimes, a major is selected due to wrong information, parental pressure, and pressure to select a major, or any variety of reasons that do not reflect a mature and self-aware choice. Sometimes, poor performance may be tied to doubt about your major choice or pressure you feel to pursue something that does not interest or suit you. Talk to an advisor, or think about taking our Exploring Majors and Careers course.