41 Park Row - Historical Context
“Discreet, moderate, bold, vigorous, perfect in every detail of ornamentation...” (King’s Handbook, 1893)
When the New York Times built its headquarters at 41 Park Row in 1857, the 5-story building was the first to be designed specifically for the needs of a newspaper. By the time it was expanded to a 13-story tower in 1888, Park Row had become known as Newspaper Row, and was home to the city’s largest papers—the Times, the New York Daily Tribune, the New York Herald, and the New York World. In 1899, the building was expanded again to its current form as a 16-story structure; in 1905, the Times moved uptown; and finally in 1951, Pace University purchased the structure. Today, 41 Park Row is the oldest surviving building of the original Newspaper Row.
In the ensuing years, most of the building’s exterior architectural details have remained intact. Notable exceptions, however, include:
- The removal of the original arched ‘front door’ facing Printing House Square (now known as Pace Plaza), which has subsequently been filled in to resemble the adjacent typical bays.
- The alteration of the Park Row Main Entrance, including the removal of the triangular pediment above the door, and the removal of the archway.
- The addition of new lobby entrances on Park Row and Nassau Street.
- The flattening and loss of detail in the horizontal entablature between the ground and second floors, between the stone piers.
Excerpt from, “Opportunitas: A Master Plan for Pace University in NYC,” FXFowle for Pace University, May 2016