Artwork At One Pace Plaza
"Brotherhood of Man"
The 25 vertical panels on the façade of One Pace Plaza form a 30- by 60-foot sculpture titled “Brotherhood of Man,” created by the prominent Israeli sculptor Nechemia Azaz (1923- 2008). The hammered and welded copper panels range in length from 12 to 24 feet and contain some 200 stylized figures, which Azaz said represent the people served by Pace. Azaz, who devoted a year to the Pace project, has other major works in Chicago and London, as well as at the John F. Kennedy Center in Washington, DC.
"Code of Life or Three Piece Cube"
“Code of Life or Three Piece Cube” is a four-foot granite sculpture by the Boston-based artist David Bakalar, near the entrance to One Pace Plaza. Trained as a physical metallurgist at MIT, Bakalar works in stone, aluminum, and stainless steel. His many other permanent outdoor installations include sculptures at Columbia University Law School, MIT, and the Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole, Massachusetts. As its inscription indicates, this piece was donated in 1996 and dedicated to Charles H. Dyson ’30 on the occasion of his 87th birthday. It was a gift from Henry C. Beinstein ’64.
"Young Performers" and "Heaven and Earth"
Chaim Gross’ 1973 bronze “Young Performers,” far left, and his 1968 bronze “Heaven and Earth,” near left, were moved from their former Gold Street location to the newly-renovated Edward J. Mortola Courtyard at One Pace Plaza in 2012. One of the best-known sculptors of the 20th century, the Austrian-born Gross (1904–1991) worked primarily in wood and bronze, often choosing as his subjects circus performers, dancers, and mothers with children. His works are also represented at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York City, and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington, DC, as well as several other universities.
Though not part of Pace’s collection, the bronze statue of Benjamin Franklin at the intersection of Park Row and Spruce Street, is one of the New York City Campus’ most recognizable landmarks. Dedicated in 1872, it is the work of sculptor Ernst Plassman (sometimes spelled “Plassmann”) and shows Franklin with a copy of his newspaper, the Pennsylvania Gazette. At the time of the installation, Park Row was a hub of New York City’s thriving newspaper industry. One Pace Plaza sits on the former site of the New York Tribune, and our nearby 41 Park Row building was an early home of The New York Times.
“Education,” by Pleasantville sculptor Ralph J. Menconi (1915–1972), is now on the Frankfort Street side of One Pace Plaza. Its curling aluminum blades represent “education, feeding on itself, nurturing ideas, and uplifting growing minds,” Menconi explained at the time of its installation in 1970. Menconi was best known for his commemorative medals, including a popular series of 36 US Presidents that earned him the nickname “Sculptor of Presidents.” His works are also in the Smithsonian American Art Museum and other collections.
Awakening Mountain II
“Awakening Mountain II,” by the American sculptor and painter Peter Chinni, is a nine-foot-tall bronze sculpture dating to 1964. Chinni, who was born in Mt. Kisco, New York, in 1928, is also represented in the collections of the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York City and the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC, among many others.
"Book of Remembrance"
Three copies of the “Book of Remembrance” were created for Pace’s New York City, Pleasantville (shown here), and White Plains locations to honor the four students and 43 alumni who died on September 11, 2001. It was designed by then-University Architect Daniel Okoli and dedicated in 2002, a year to the day after the tragedy.