main navigation
my pace
Office of Student Assistance

Degree Works FAQ

Degree Works is a web-based academic reporting and advising software that clearly outlines the requirements of a particular program and multiple ways of completing them. Degree Works is a tool that should be used in conjunction with the guidance from your academic advisor. It is strongly recommended that you meet regularly with your advisor to review the information displayed on your Degree Works report.

My advisor is missing or is incorrect. How can this be updated?
If the advisor is listed incorrectly or is missing altogether, please visit the Center for Academic Excellence website.

I tested out of a requirement, but why is Degree Works not recognizing it?
Degree Works can only read testing scores for certain requirements. For example, most students who tested out of English 110 will see that requirement waived. If you tested out of requirement and it is not reflected in Degree Works, please contact the Office of Student Assistance or email Degree Works.

I don’t see my Transfer Credits on the Degree Works report. Who can I speak to?
Please email OSA.

What should I do if my degree/major/minor/concentration is listed incorrectly?
If you have already submitted a Declaration or Change of Major or Program form (PDF) (which would include the degree, minor, and/or concentration you have chosen) with all of the necessary signatures, then please contact the Office of Student Assistance for an update. If you have not submitted the form, please make an appointment with your advisor to start the process. Please submit the approved form to OSA in-person or at email OSA.

How long does it take for my new Major/Minor/Concentration to be reflected on Degree Works?
Once the Declaration or Change of Major or Program form is processed by the Office of Student Assistance, Degree Works will be updated the following morning. Please consult with your advisor to determine how long it will take to receive the necessary signatures before the form can be submitted to OSA. All substitution or waiver forms should be emailed to OSA. Once submitted , forms are usually processed within two-to-three business days, depending on volume.

What does the Degree Progress Bar mean?
The Degree Progress Bar is an approximation of how far along a student is in regards to completing their degree. It represents the percentage of individual requirements completed out of the overall requirements for the degree. It is not a representation of how many credits are completed towards your degree.

What does “IP” mean in the grade column?
“IP” signifies that a course on the student’s record is currently “In-Progress”. This includes courses taken during the current term, or registered for in a future term.

Are “IP” or “In-Progress” courses included in the credit totals in Degree Works?
Yes. Degree Works assumes the course will be passed with a satisfactory grade. In situations where a satisfactory grade is not achieved by the student, Degree Works will automatically move the course to the Insufficient section of the Degree Report once the grade is entered for the term.

How are 6-credit INT courses handled in Degree Works?
6-credit INT courses are usually comprised of two three-credit courses. Unfortunately, Degree Works can only read 6-credit INT courses as one singular course that fulfills one requirement. If you have successfully completed a 6-credit INT course, and need that course to fulfill two separate three-credit requirements, please email OSA. Prior to registering for a 6-credit INT course, please consult with your advisor to make sure it fulfills the requirements you are looking for.

In the Areas of Knowledge section, can a course be moved from one area to another if it has the correct attributes?
Yes. It is not uncommon for a course to have more than one kind of AOK attribute. Degree Works attempts to find the best fit based on the student’s current academic history. If a course has more than one AOK attribute and the student wishes to have it fulfill a different AOK Area than what Degree Works defaults to, they should email OSA. Please be aware that once the student registers for additional courses that fulfill the Areas of Knowledge section, Degree Works will reevaluate the other courses and attempt to find the best fit scenario.

I’m a student from the 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12 academic catalog years and my AOK is not complete even thought I have taken 24 credits in that section. What does this mean?
Unfortunately, Degree Works cannot automatically complete the Areas of Knowledge section for students that fall within those academic years. Please note that eight of nine courses are required, where only a single course in necessary is one of the areas numbered two through five. Please contact your advisor or email OSA if you have any questions regarding this requirement.

I completed my Foundation Language requirement but Degree Works report still says it’s incomplete. Who do I contact about this?
Please contact your advisor or email OSA if you have any questions regarding this requirement.

After the three-letter subject code, I see a range of numbers, for example 100:499. What does this mean?
Two numbers separated by a colon indicates a range for the course number. For example, if Degree Works says “1 Course in ENG 200:499”, then one course in English (course numbers) 200 through English 499 can satisfy the requirement.

What is the Look Ahead feature?
The Look Ahead feature allows the placement of theoretical course registration and the review of how those courses will fulfill requirements in the student’s degree report.

What is the GPA Calculator?
There two different GPA Calculators:

  • The Term Calculator allows the placement of hypothetical grades for the courses the student is registered for in the current term. Degree Works will calculate a new overall GPA for the student.
  • The Advice Calculator allows users to enter a desired GPA and Degree Works will offer advice on how that GPA can be achieved through future grades, if it is possible.

It is important to be realistic when imputing the student’s grades or a desired GPA as to not create unrealistic expectations.

What is the History section?
The History section contains degree reports that were digitally “frozen” or saved on Degree Works by the Office of Student Assistance or an advisor/faculty member. There is a dropdown menu where you can find the frozen degree reports, which are saved and titled by date.

My advisor told me they left a note on my report, where can I find this?
Notes can be found on the bottom of the degree report.

How do I print a copy of my Degree Works report?
To print or save a digital copy of a degree report from Degree Works, click on the Save As PDF button that is located near the top of the degree report. This will open a PDF file where it can be saved or printed.

Which Internet browser should be used with Degree Works?
It is recommended that Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome be used when logging on to Degree Works. Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and Apple’s Safari may be used, but some functionality could be limited.

Can Degree Works be used on my mobile device?
Degree Works can be used on some smart phones and tablet devices, however results vary. Please be cautious when viewing Degree Works on these devices.

Is Degree Works available off campus?
Yes, Degree is available for students to use off campus. Faculty, advisors, and Pace staff members should first VPN onto the Pace Network.

For Technical or Data issues, questions or concerns, please email OSA